Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Need some advice

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
So from about Thursday I’ve had a massive cold, just blocked nose, ears, headache etc. Yesterday I took the day off work and my manager said if I developed a cough or fever I’d have to get tested as I work in a hospital. I have now got a chesty cough and a sore throat which I think is just part of my cold. I also can’t smell or taste things very well, which also could just be cause my nose is blocked. Whilst I’m almost 100% certain it’s a cold as my sister had one earlier this week and tested negative for COVID I just don’t know whether I should get tested to be sure. 

I asked my mum if I can book one and she said no, which means I have no way of getting to a test centre even if I do book one. I’m just not really sure what to do.
The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited September 2020
    You can book one. It's the same where I work, even if it's a cold, if the symptoms match covid too, you have to provide a negative test to return to work, or take 14 days off and it's unpaid. You can ring 119 to book a test.
    You're manger might tell you similar about not being able to return unless providing a negative test
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    GreenTea said:
    You can book one. It's the same where I work, even if it's a cold, if the symptoms match covid too, you have to provide a negative test to return to work, or take 14 days off and it's unpaid. You can ring 119 to book a test.
    You're manger might tell you similar about not being able to return unless providing a negative test
    Thanks I know I should but if my mum doesn’t agree with me booking one then she won’t take me, the nearest text centre is a half an hour drive away and I can’t drive. 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    Dandelion said:
    GreenTea said:
    Thanks I know I should but if my mum doesn’t agree with me booking one then she won’t take me, the nearest text centre is a half an hour drive away and I can’t drive. 

You can get postage tests sent to your address. 

Or can someone else take you and you sit in the back with a mask on?
    Other thing you can do is get a copy of the covid policy from work and give it to your mum
    Thanks @GreenTea. I might try asking my sister when she gets back from work 
    Yh if you go in the car, just windows down, back seat on other side of the car and put a mask on. That's how I had to go by car with my granddad to get a lift home 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited September 2020
    I think it’s difficult to judge at this time of year, but I’d say it’s probably better to be safe than sorry when it comes to Covid and work. 

I believe you can get tests sent to your house? Maybe worth ringing 119 and asking whether that’d be an option for you. 

Or like GreenTea suggested maybe ask someone else who can drive and take all necessary safety precautions :) 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Just spoke to my sister she said she’ll take me if I still feel ill tomorrow 
    Dandelion said:

You have to book for a test centre. You can't just turn up, you'll get sent away. You need to ring 119 and get booked. You get sent a code which then you give at the testing centre you go to
    GreenTea said:
    Dandelion said:

You have to book for a test centre. You can't just turn up, you'll get sent away. You need to ring 119 and get booked. You get sent a code which then you give at the testing centre you go to
    Yeah, here it’s never too busy here everyone I know has managed to get a test for the same day. I’m feeling a lot better this morning though and when I did a questionnaire it said I didn’t need to. Might ring 111 and see what they say don’t want to book a test if it’s just a cold. 
    Understandable, also worth checking with work, I know policies are different, but my work would still want a negative test.
    It's worth asking work to
    GreenTea said:
    Understandable, also worth checking with work, I know policies are different, but my work would still want a negative test.
    It's worth asking work to
    Yeah I’ll text my manager they might want one as I know lots of people have already had it there. But I know someone who was off with a cold last week and they didn’t get one, but I’ll check anyway x 
    Booked a test for this afternoon and my mums agreed to take me 
    Hopefully I’ll get the results by tomorrow my sisters really annoyed at me because she might not be able to go to work tomorrow. When my mum got tested they got there back in 12 hours hopefully mine will be the same 
    Haven’t got my result back yet, which means another day off work 😣
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    @Dandelion unfortunately it can take a few days as there was a big backlog at one point , I know when I have mine done at work it can take anywhere from 2-7 days to come back 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Yeah, I know I should be patient considering I work in a lab and know how busy we are atm. I just hate not knowing things and waiting around for this result is horrible. 
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I know it’s horrible :( me and my mum had an unclear result a few weeks back and it was horrible waiting for the next weeks test results to come back 

hopefully there be with you soon 💜
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • john144john144 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Dandelion said:
    So from about Thursday I’ve had a massive cold, just blocked nose, ears, headache etc. Yesterday I took the day off work and my manager said if I developed a cough or fever I’d have to get tested as I work in a hospital. I have now got a chesty cough and a sore throat which I think is just part of my cold. I also can’t smell or taste things very well, which also could just be cause my nose is blocked. Whilst I’m almost 100% certain it’s a cold as my sister had one earlier this week and tested negative for COVID I just don’t know whether I should get tested to be sure. 

I asked my mum if I can book one and she said no, which means I have no way of getting to a test centre even if I do book one. I’m just not really sure what to do.
    I very much doubt it’s covid what you’ve told me tells me it isn’t , it’s a cold don’t worry