Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Music as communication

Hi, I dont know about anyone else but i personally use music a lot to cope with my feelings and i find my playlists reflect my feelings and when they change. I've noticed that a lot of the songs i listen to have some dark themes and i really relate to the lyrics. I've started to kind of listen to them around the people closest to me as a way of trying to communicate how I'm feeling but i dont know if they've picked up on it and just arent saying anything or they just dont realise. It could be that i just read way too much into the lyrics and other people dont. I was wondering if anyone else finds that their playlists reflect their feelings and if you may find you communicate through music like myself. 

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi , I really related to this. I often listen to music that reflects my mood. I think I find it comforting to know I’m not alone in my struggles. And sometimes when you can’t find the right words it’s nice to find a song that can show it for you.

One thing my friend and I used to do was pick a song a day that represented our moods. If she picked a sad song we’d talk or I would just make sure she knew I was there for her and vice versa. Sometimes it’s easier to play a sad song when you can’t get the words out. 

Music certainly is a beautiful thing and can definitely help us with our feelings. If you don’t mind me asking is there a song in particular you like to listen to? 

I’m sorry this wasn’t much help. 

I hope you have a very happy day  <3
  • ButterflyBloom12ButterflyBloom12 Posts: 12 Settling in
    @SpaceOtter That's such a good idea with your friend! I
    The song i listen to most at the moment is Anyone by Demi Lovato. What's yours? 
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @ButterflyBloom12

I love music and can also totally relate to this. My partner thinks that people are either music people or lyric people. She has always been a lyric person but for most of my life I've been a music person. Only in the last 6-9 months have I started paying more attention to the lyrics of songs. So maybe be patient with your friends, because they may not be "lyric people" and instead music people... :) 

I don't know whether you have Spotify, but they just did their 2020 Wrap-up, and my number one song for 2020 is July by Noah Cyrus and Leon Bridges. Do you know it and if you have Spotify what did you think of your top song for 2020?
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 0 Just got here
    I’ve never heard that song before but I’ll definitely give it a listen. I guess the song I listen to the most at the moment is wait by M83. It takes my mind places.   :)
    Hi @JamJar i never knew spotify did that! I love that song. My top song is Love Again by New Hope Club. I didnt think i listened to that song very often but apparently i do. I had never thought about how differently people could listen to music like that as i've always been one to hear the lyrics. 
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    I massively relate to this! :heart: I hear the lyrics, whereas some people may just listen to the beat, or like the general feeling the song gives them. It's interesting how music speaks to us all in different ways! 
  • SneakylilmochaSneakylilmocha Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    edited December 2020
    Hi, i'm sorry if this late. I really want to having fun chatting and discussing anyone else for a while. I hesitated to join discussing here at first, but I do it anyway so I hope you don't mind me join in. :smile:

Honestly, I can relate to that too! I'm more into lyric-person and I listen to Rock and Indie songs a lot like: tally hall, the cosmos, modern baseball, mystery skulls etc. 
    Sadly, family said that I have a bad taste. Even they always recommended me to listened trendy and bass-boosted songs, but it feels boring to me sometimes. :lol:

Post edited by Sneakylilmocha on
    "Grow from the dirt they left you in."
    Hi @Sneakylilmocha
    i was quite hesitant to start posting and commenting on here at first too but since then I've only found it to be really helpful and everyone is always really kind. 
    Everyone has their own taste and i admit mine is a bit all over the place. I haven't heard of any of them but is there a song that you would recommend? I'd love to give it a listen. 
    @coc0mac I'm so glad you could relate to this! If you dont mind me asking, what's a song that you really relate to at the moment? I'm going to listen to every song that people suggest as i'm interested in broadening my music taste. 
    @SpaceOtter
    I wanted to wait until i listened to the song first before commenting again. At first i didnt realise what song it is but it clicked and i havent heard this song in ages! It gave me a very calm feeling and definitely took my mind somewhere else for a bit. Thank you for bringing this song back into my life
  • _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    @ButterflyBloom12 Welcome to the boards nice to meet you I would say I cope with a lot of feelings using music ❤️
    Hope to see you around 🙂