Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Antidepressants and CBT

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
I’ve been having CBT treatment with Italk since late August, and this week they have decided that I would benefit more from their “more intensive” treatment, so I’ve been put on the waiting list for that. It will probably be at least a couple of months until I can get an appointment, but I’m wondering whether I should consider trying an antidepressant medication at the same time as CBT, as what I’ve done so far hasn’t had much of an effect and I’ve been struggling for a while. CAMHS referred me to Italk in April and also said that antidepressants could be considered appropriate for me and my GP is aware of that. I’ve always been put off by the side effects as the idea of them makes me quite anxious. Does anyone have experience of antidepressants, possibly combined with CBT, and could give me some advice? I’m really not sure how I feel about them.

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @itsquietuptown

I don't have any personal experience, but I wanted to say I think it's great that you have asked this here! Of course everybody's experiences will be unique to them, but hearing a range of experiences can be super helpful for making a decision. I think try not to rush into making any decisions. Write down any pros and cons whenever they come to mind, speak to people (which you are here which is fab!) and just do what feels right for you. Totally okay if you aren't sure how you feel right now, you have time to decide. Good luck with whatever you choose, big hugs! :heart:
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I think that everyone’s experience is different it kinda just depends on which medication you take and how you react. The medication I take has very few side effects and I’ve found it very helpful. I can’t comment on taking them alongside CBT though as I’ve always been too nervous to do CBT. if you think it might help though it definitely worth discussing it with your GP or CAMHS to see what they think xx
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.