Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My cousins

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
I’m worried about my cousins, they aren’t being abused but they are in a unhappy household. The family argue a lot and from what I’ve been told and over heard their mum does say some nasty things about them such as telling one of them that she is causing the problems in the house with her OCD and that sometimes she (my cousin) wants to make her (my aunt) jump in the canal, she has called her names in the past such as saying she looks like a slag. Social have been involved before but as my aunt pretends to be mother of the year in front of the people coming round they have left them, My cousins still speak to someone at school to check in on them but one of my cousins said we have to pretend everything is ok because we get in trouble. As far as I’m aware she has also slapped one of them across the face for being cheeky and talking back, which she did after her mum was arguing with her, accusing her of something she hadn’t done.

Ive calls the NSPCC who have looked into it but have since back off because yet again she is playing mother of the year in front of social.

I can’t do anything else now but I feel so bad, especially as I wont be seeing them for a long time. They are my world and I’m very protective of them so it’s upsetting knowing I can’t fo anything more. 

Comments

• Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Hi @One-in-a-million❤️
    I’m so sorry to hear that that sounds horrible 
    sending hugs 🥺🥰❤️
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @One-in-a-million

That sounds really tough, but it sounds like they are lucky to have you looking out for them. Is there anything you can do to help with the worry and check in on them at the same time? Maybe FaceTime or anything like that? 

It’s really easy to worry about the ones we love when we are apart from them - I feel that quite deeply with my family too. I find that just checking in with them every now and then does help (altho I do still worry too). 

It sounds like you’ve done everything in your power to help them via nspcc etc too... as I said before they are really lucky to have you looking out for them, you clearly care about them a lot. 

Sending hugs
    Lucy
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    edited November 2020
    Hey @One-in-a-million

Just wanted to check in and ask how you are doing? Sending you hugs, sounds like it's very difficult for you.

I just wanted to echo what has been said already and let you know that we care about you :heart:

We are always here for you :smile::heart:

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Thank you, It’s hard now I can’t see them due to lockdown but we do text, I don’t always get a reply but even so. I wish I could do more to help them, especially mental health wise as I know they both struggle with different things.. but even that is hard to do when I can’t see them and the fact that I don’t feel grate myself. I’m just glad that the school stays open for them and I hope that lockdown won’t be extended I just wiah I could do more
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hey @One-in-a-million, I'm just posting to let you know I think you're doing a fantastic job. Your cousins need to have someone looking out for them, and that's what you're doing and it's so important. 

It's hard when you feel like you've done all you can, but I think it's important to remember that just by being there for them and being supportive, kind and understand, you'll help them more than you know. People who live in difficult home environments can often feel like they have no one, so it's really important that you assure them that you're there and willing to listen if they ever need it. 

Remember to take care of yourself too <3 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”