Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

(TW) coping with someone doing intermittent fasting

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
I’ve struggled with my eating for a few years now, never extremely seriously but still each day it’s a bit of a challenge and I have to work hard to ignore my thoughts telling me to restrict. I’ve also struggled with a lot of anxiety around knowing what and when my boyfriend eats in order to feel like I can eat. I have been working very hard to try and get to a healthier place with my eating. Yesterday I was at my boyfriend’s house, and at about 15:30 his mum said “Right, breakfast time!” She has been doing intermittent fasting for about six months or so, and she often talks about it and often fasts for much longer than she plans to, but is obviously proud when she does. She says things like “I feel good when I’ve waited a long time for my food and I enjoy it even more”. She is vaguely aware that I struggle with my mental health, and doesn’t know details but she does know I’ve struggled with my eating. My boyfriend feels like he can’t say anything to her about how unhealthy what she’s doing is, because she is adamant that it’s good for her. I don’t want to have to ask her to not talk about it around me, but it’s extremely hard to hear. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this?

Comments

• JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Hi @itsquietuptown, I can understand why hearing your partners mum talk about doing intermittest fasting might be triggering for you. It sounds like you have put in a lot of work to get yourself to a healthier place and that is good to hear!

I suppose the first thing you could consider doing would be to see if your boyfriend could talk to his mum? I know you said he doesn't want to tell her how unhealthy it is, but if you are comfortable allowing him to you could have him ask his mum to not mention it as much around you? I know you mentioned that you don't want to have to ask her to not talk about it, is there any reason you don't want to do that?

I can totally understand why you might not feel comfortable asking her to not mention it near you. You could always try remove yourself from the situation if it makes you anxious?

Let me know how things are :smile:
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.