Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Homesick for Abroad??

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
edited October 2020 in Home, Law & Money
I really didn't know where else to put this except the home area - I lived abroad for two years without my family as I attended two ice hockey academies. 

The first year we had a girls team and two boys teams so about 60 of us at the academy together. 

The second year was a boys team and a girls team so about 40 of us. The second year we were all a lot closer as we lived together and went to school together and it was a small town. 

But everyone knew everyone and we all came to each others home games etc. 

I was the only international student on the female teams both years - the rest were all North American. There was 2 international boys the first year and no other internationals the next year. 

It's been 4 years since I first moved away and 2 years now since I returned home. I really miss my friends and it really hurts that I probably won't see most of them again. 

I keep in contact with a few of them and I'll tell them that I miss them. I know they do miss me too. I miss the whole environment of living abroad and with my teammates. 

It allowed me to forget that I'd been taken off my mum and lived with my grandparents. It let me forget anything that happened. I could really live freely without having to go much into my past or background. Everyone thought it was cool I was Scottish. 

There were some breakdowns in the relationships with my teammates/academy mates the first year due to the coach but I do talk to some of them still. 

I can't afford to get over to see anyone again although I have visited teammates from my first team during spring break of my time with my second team. 

I've got multiple places I could stay if I was to get over but it's the flights to get there. 

This pandemic has really made me miss my teammates more and I really don't know how to get over this. 

It's like I'm homesick but missing my temporary living area. 

I don't know what to do or how to deal with it :( it's very hard to admit to anyone over here because they'll think I don't appreciate what I've got here. It's just not the same :/ 
               (_)
                |
           ()---|---()
                |
                |
         __     |     __
        |\     /^\     /|
          '..-'   '-..'
            `-._ _.-`
                `

Comments