Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should I apply for normal halls or mature halls?

MiaMia Posts: 26 Boards Initiate
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys. I have to make this decision pretty quickly - like tomorrow. I'm 22. Never been to uni, will be my first year. There's an option in my halls to apply for mature halls which are for 21+. But I'm not sure if I should or not. Maybe most 21-25 year olds will still apply to normal ones? Has anyone here been in mature halls or been a mature student in normal halls? What were your experiences?

Also, if I wear earplugs to bed how am I gonna hear the alarm in the morning ? lol.
I also have a choice of a flat of 6 or 9 people. I want 9 because it will be more entertaining, but I'm worried about corona (more people = more risk). 

I also feel like maybe older people would be more careful about staying safe during the corona than young people would? In terms of social distancing etc. Or do you think age doesn't effect that?

Thanks x 
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Hey Mia! Big choice to make. First, congrats on starting uni soon! 

In terms of halls I suppose it’s what you value more. I went to uni at 18. I’m currently 21 now. I stayed in halls for my first two years here, then made the choice to get my own flat in my 3rd and 4th year. 

Halls(for me) were a great experience. Everyone there is in the same boat(just starting uni for the first time). Halls at my uni were a nice community, and I made some really good friends and memories there!

I know people who stayed in halls throughout their entire uni career. I made the decision to move away one halls because I felt it was the right decision and halls, while fun, are full of freshers! In my 3rd year I thought I wanted to get my head down so I took a step away. 

I can’t speak for mature halls as I’ve never been in one! However, I don’t think you’ll be judged for going to normal halls. At our uni we had plenty of 4th year students in our halls and they were just an equal part of the community as new students!

Does any of that help you decide? I’m happy to talk more about my experience in halls if it’s helpful. Just let me know! :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Mia

Sorry that I'm a little late to this post - what decision did you make in the end? :smile:

I stayed in halls (but wasn't a mature student) whilst one of my closest friends stayed in mature halls, so whichever way you went for I may be able to share some advice if you have any specific questions now that you've made your choice! 

In terms of your earlier questions, a few of my friends used earplugs and they were still able to hear their alarm, no problems there. You could also set an alarm on your phone and select vibrate, so that the sensation can wake you up too, just for a little extra confidence that you will hear your alarm :smile: