Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feelings

pangel78pangel78 Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi. I don’t really know how this works but I just need someone to talk to. When I was 12 I self harmed for around 9 months after I was almost raped in broad daylight. Recently I’ve been feeling the urge to start again after feeling depressed for around 6 months after both my closest family friend and uncle passed away. I haven’t self harmed in over 3 years but my mental health has dropped so low I desperately want to do it again. I don’t talk to anyone about my problems and have felt really alone for a while now. I just was wondering if anyone had tips to stay away from sliding any further into depression.

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Hey @pangel78, first of all welcome to The Mix! It's lovely to have you here <3

It sounds like you're having a tough time at the moment. I can hear that previous trauma is impacting your mental health, giving you the urge to self-harm. I want you to know that you are not alone. In this community you will meet lots of lovely people who will have had a similar experience and who will help you get back on your feet again <3 

pangel78 said:
    I just was wondering if anyone had tips to stay away from sliding any further into depression.
    I'm wondering if you have a support network in place? e.g. any friends/family you could reach out to when things get tough. I understand that your closest family friend and uncle have passes away and I send my condolences. The Mix also has a variety of 1-2-1 services you can reach out to if you feel you would like to. 

A great strategy I have previously done to reduce the urge to SH is to write a loved ones name on the area of your body you feel you want to SH, that way giving in to the urge would be like hurting them, and that is something I would never want to do. If there isn't a name you can think of, perhaps do a little doodle of something, perhaps a butterfly, the goal being to keep the butterfly safe. 

I hope this helps you <3 Please do reach out if you need a chat, the boards are an amazing place! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @pangel78

Welcome to the boards. I can hear you have been through a really difficult time and things are feeling tough right now, so I am really pleased you decided to reach out. We are all here to care and to listen, so please never feel like you have to go through this alone. Additionally, please know that this truly is a safe space where you can share anything you would like to talk about - we will never judge you for anything you say or feel. :heart:

You say you don't want to talk to anybody about your problems and I was just wondering if you know what it is that makes you feel that way? :heart:

In terms of tips, here are some links to ideas that you my find helpful. And remember it's okay if you need to try a few different techniques before you find what works for you x

https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/your-feelings/self-harm/self-harm-coping-techniques/
    https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3597097/what-are-your-best-self-care-tips - this is a thread that I made about self care tips, I'm wondering if anything could help to distract you and/or improve the way you feel :)