Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Auto-links - should they require a command?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,312 Part of The Furniture
edited July 2020 in Community Announcements
We're considering adding a command requirement to the aut-linking feature. For example, we could use '!samaritans' instead of 'samaritans', meaning just typing the text wouldn't link it.

A potential upside to this is that you actively choose whether to link what you're saying by using the exclamation mark, meaning you never link something you don't mean or want to link. It might also prevent chats becoming full of links as we add more to our list.

A potential drawback is the feature just requires an extra step and thing to remember, which might mean it gets a bit less use. It could also make it less intuitive for everyone.

Let us know what you think. :)

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Auto-links - should they require a command? 8 votes

Yes
37%
DancerMel_AnneFrypan 3 votes
No
37%
independent_Past UserZen 3 votes
I'm easy
25%
Past UserStarlight 2 votes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    No
    I kind of like the fact that it just does it as new people will learn they can do it quickly and sometimes an accidental link is helpful!

I also think if the link is accidental and not useful at that time people can just ignore it. 

Anyways that's just my two cents! 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,617 Legendary Poster
    No
    I think personally I just like how easy it is, and as @Eleanor said even if it’s accidental it can sometimes be helpful and can be ignored if it isn’t. 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    No
    @Liam Your vote doesn't count, you're easy about everything :joy::joy::joy: 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    I'm easy
    @Eleanor 😆😆 True... but considering the option was there I just had to click it 😝
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,312 Part of The Furniture
    Thanks everyone! So far, it looks like there's no burning desire to do this. Some of you have rightly pointed out that sometimes an unintentional link can actually be really useful, too. :)

So for now we'll be leaving things as they are, with the exception of words that are so commonly used that having a command just makes sense. For example, we won't automatically link 'Mind' to the mental health organisation because that word gets used SO much. For that one, we'll use '!Mind' and make that our general approach going forward. The same is true for SANE. Main list updated.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.