Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

advice for coping

ems16ems16 Posts: 27 Boards Initiate
edited June 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
does anyone have advice on how to cope at night or how they calm down, I can’t stop crying every night my chest hurts everything hurts, I just want to sleep so these thoughts can go away for a while.

Comments

• Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    Hi @Ems16, sounds like you're really struggling at the moment glad you've reached out here and sending hugs <3 

Night can be the worst time, I agree with you on that, do you have things which help to calm you down during the day which might help at night too? Things which distract you?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Hi @Ems16, sounds like you're really struggling at the moment glad you've reached out here and sending hugs <3 

Night can be the worst time, I agree with you on that, do you have things which help to calm you down during the day which might help at night too? Things which distract you?
    I usually just listen to music but it dosent help calm me down for long, I probably just cry to it tbh
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    Music I find is good for distraction at least to a degree. What sort of music do you enjoy listening to?

Have you got any support for how you're feeling? 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    JayJJayJ Posts: 21 Boards Initiate
    Hi @ems16 sorry to hear you're having a rough time atm. I sometimes find nights hard and I've got a few tricks. 

The best thing I've found to calm me is mindfulness - theres an app called Headspace that's great for guiding you through it. Mindfulness helps you process your feelings in a healthy way and tends to leave most people really relaxed afterward. 

Another one I do on tough nights is plan my dreams. This sounds kind of weird but I try to think of wonderful things I could dream out, the more creative and wacky the better, but keep it positive. Using your imagination when you're trying to sleep can help to distract you but also start the process of your mind getting ready for sleep. 

Finally my last one is specifically for when it's too much and you just cant calm down. Get under your quilt with all your pillows and make a little nest like structure, make sure you're fully under the quilt. When it's all close over you and you're in like a little cocoon, it's really helpful to help calm you down. 

I hope one of these helps. Most of all, remember its okay to cry and let everything out. When your body really really needs sleep, it'll happen, but if you need to express and get everything out, it's okay to lose sleep to do it, so don't stress. When you're going through stuff, sometimes your body knows best. Sending hugs and I hope you have sweet dreams <3 
  • Options
    Music I find is good for distraction at least to a degree. What sort of music do you enjoy listening to?

Have you got any support for how you're feeling? 

I listen to ‘soft’ kinda music best way to explain it and not really
  • Options
    JayJ said:
    Hi @ems16 sorry to hear you're having a rough time atm. I sometimes find nights hard and I've got a few tricks. 

The best thing I've found to calm me is mindfulness - theres an app called Headspace that's great for guiding you through it. Mindfulness helps you process your feelings in a healthy way and tends to leave most people really relaxed afterward. 

Another one I do on tough nights is plan my dreams. This sounds kind of weird but I try to think of wonderful things I could dream out, the more creative and wacky the better, but keep it positive. Using your imagination when you're trying to sleep can help to distract you but also start the process of your mind getting ready for sleep. 

Finally my last one is specifically for when it's too much and you just cant calm down. Get under your quilt with all your pillows and make a little nest like structure, make sure you're fully under the quilt. When it's all close over you and you're in like a little cocoon, it's really helpful to help calm you down. 

I hope one of these helps. Most of all, remember its okay to cry and let everything out. When your body really really needs sleep, it'll happen, but if you need to express and get everything out, it's okay to lose sleep to do it, so don't stress. When you're going through stuff, sometimes your body knows best. Sending hugs and I hope you have sweet dreams <3 
    thank you💛I’ll have a look at the app
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @ems16

Sorry to hear you are struggling right now - sending big hugs :heart:

I am just wondering, would you consider yoga at all? When I was at school I developed insomnia from stress. I went to the doctors and tried so many different things, but like you say, it can be so difficult to calm down and switch off at night. Eventually I found one thing that really helped, and that was yoga. I was really against the idea at first, I didn't think it would help or be enjoyable, but actually the positive mental impact yoga has had on me is amazing. I do yoga every night before I go to bed and it helps a bunch. I'll pop some links in the spoiler to some that have helped me- one I use when I can't sleep,  one if I am feeling down and one when I am feeling anxious.

Take good care :heart: