Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self harm distractions

BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
As it's self-injury awareness day tomorrow The Mix thought it would be a good idea to have a space where we can all share our distractions in the hopes it can help others who are also struggling :) many of us struggle with this and instead of the usual 'have a cup of tea' 'take a bath' things professionals come up with (which don't get me wrong might work for some people) but I thought this space could be more things that have actually helped us, things we may not think about trying, who knows, you might find something that works wonders for you :)
' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  

Comments

• Options
    I'll start, my main go to distractions are 

painting my nails - cant self harm unless you want to mess them up
    running - theres just something about running til you cant breathe that I find relieving
    artsy stuff - this could be doing henna (which I like) colouring, drawing, just scribbling to get your anger out
    doing housework - I like things organized, so this Is a great distraction for me
    self care - doing a face mask, skin care routine or just watching your fav movie
    watch funny youtube videos - this always cheers me up
    writing - this is a big one for me, I love writing poems and often do a lot of them when im struggling

I also use popping candy which I have found to be most useful, its more about grounding when your mind is racing - focusing on all the sense at once

cant wait to hear your distractions :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    Found this and thought it was pretty fitting 😊

• Options
    Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    edited March 2020
    Love this thread @BubblesGoesBoo i'm sure it will help many people so thank you for posting it! 

I just wanted to chime in and share this link to some distraction techniques that some of you may find helpful, self harm isn't an easy thing to stop however it is possible.  <3

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Reading things out my happiness jug to distract me...