Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Panic attacks

StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
Just sat here and I can feel a panic attack coming it’s way, can anyone else sense when there about to have a panic attack or is it just me? Sometimes I can tell kinda (it’s like a mini panic attack before the big blow) but sometimes they just come at me like full force. Just wondering if anyone could give me any tips on getting through them? They’re so scary. Also if anyone has any tips on preventing panic attacks I’d love to hear them. Thanks x
“I got you, moonlight, you're my starlight
I need you all night, come on, dance with me”

* Shine like the star you are! *

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    edited June 2020
    Hey Starlight. I hope that you are okay.

I've never experienced a panic attack but they sound really scary. it's good that sometimes you are able to feel one coming along so that you can feel more prepared for it. I've heard people talk about different grounding techniques that they find helpful when having a panic attack. Ones called the 5-4-3-2-1 technique, ill add it into a spoiler

5: Acknowledge FIVE things you see around you

4.Acknowledge FOUR things you can touch around you

3: Acknowledge THREE things you hear. 

2: Acknowledge TWO things you can smell.

1: Acknowledge ONE thing that you can taste

It can also be really helpful to focus on your breathing when having a panic attack, both feet flat on the floor and slowly breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth and keep reminding yourself that you're gonna be okay

(sorry for the double spoiler :lol: )
  • StarlightStarlight Posts: 1,436 Wise Owl
    Thanks @Liam think I’ve heard that one before but I always forget what the 5 things are and what order, going to go right it down somewhere aha. 

Also love the double spoiler :joy:

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Sending you lots of hugs lovely, I'm about to head to bed but will reply in full tomorrow!
    Keep pushing through, you've got this! Focus on your breathing, stick on some calm music and close your eyes.

Hope you'll be ok tonight and ill post in full tomorrow 💕
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    :lol:  feels top secret with the double spoiler haha

To remember it just think of your 5 senses.. so you've sight, sound, smell, touch, taste .. i don't think the order is important and you could always do 5 of each  :) . There's lots of tips online for grounding techniques. 

If you feel a panic attack coming you could maybe try a breathing exercise on youtube? I always find them really helpful, not for panic attacks but just to chill out after a long day.  =)
    Okay thank you so much @GreenTea you’ve been a massive help these past few days. Sleep well  <3

Thanks @Liam aha it’s a top secret mission shh don’t tell anyone the secret grounding techniques aha. But really thank you so much  :)

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    Hiya @Starlight

I was considering starting a similar discussing because I’ve been going through this too again recently, I’m sorry you’re going through it too it really is scary and panic attacks are so scary when they happen.

I like the technique that @Liam suggested with the 5 senses (love the double spoiler by the way) and echo what the others say about breathing exercises they can be good especially if you feel it coming on. 

I hope you’re ok, here anytime :heart: 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Thank you @independent_!! Same goes, always here if you ever need anyone to talk to  <3

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Starlight sending all the hugs 💕

In terms of prevention there is no sure fire to prevent these but things that can help consist of 
    Reducing overall stress and any triggers that may set off your panic attacks. This involves figuring out what may bring these on and taking steps to prevent such or doing what you can to reduce the stress it brings. Keeping a journal of when and why you have them can help identify.

Reducing alcohol and caffeine intake may help, these are known to induce heart palpitations which can worsen a panic attack or actually make you think you're having one.

Ensuring you get a good amount of sleep and exercise can help too.

And of course speaking to your GP about it and possibly getting counselling or medication to help. 

In terms of panic attacks that are coming on these can be prevented through breathing exercises, the 5 rule Liam suggested is very helpful and focuses on grounding us back to reality. 

Mindfulness, deep breaths, and Picturing a happy place can also work along with muscle relaxation techniques and distraction methods. 

Panic attacks are very scary even after all this time I'm not used to them, and I can notice when one is coming on these days you're not alone with that! X

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Starlight

Sending you hugs <3

The Mind website has a section on panic attacks here: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/panic-attacks/#WhatHelpsToManagePanicAttacks

I think a lot of the methods that they have spoken about have been talked about here but they say:

"During a panic attack:

• Focus on your breathing. It can help to concentrate on breathing slowly in and out while counting to five.
    • Stamp on the spot. Some people find this helps control their breathing.
    • Focus on your senses. For example, taste mint-flavoured sweets or gum, or touch or cuddle something soft.
    • Try grounding techniques. Grounding techniques can help you feel more in control. They're especially useful if you experience dissociation during panic attacks."
    I was reading Ferne Cotton's book calm and she said after her panic attacks she went and saw a breathing coach called Rebecca Dennis who helped her with great breathing techniques. I've linked to Rebecca's page here which has some youtube videos of breathing techniques that might be useful: https://www.breathingtree.co.uk/transformational-breath/breathing-exercises/
    @Laine thank you so much, tried going to my gp once it didn’t go very well and it was very unhelpful. Recently I haven’t been having them as frequently I think because I’m not actually going to school, but I’m really scared there going to come back more frequently, especially when school starts back again! Also thank you, nice to know I’m not alone  <3

@Han93 thank you, definitely try those exercises/things (don’t know what you’d call them) next time, and I’ll definitely be looking into those two links. Thanks a lot  <3

Hey starlight!
    Finally getting around to responding properly! Hope you are doing ok at the moment and had a better day today.

First off, I'm sending you hugs, I can understand and know from experience what anxiety is like 💕 keep pushing through.

Echoing what everyone else said, there's lots of different ways to help when having an anxiety attack, many mentioned above! Hope they help!

Sometimes when I start to feel anxious, I find sitting outside helps and just focus on the feeling of the wind, the sun/ rain hitting my skin and the smells of whatever if going through the air!
    There's lots of apps out there that are good too! I have a headspace app and the calm app, they are helpful when you feel anxious! I was recommended them for my anxiety too!

Hope this helps
    Take care lovely 💕
    Thanks @GreenTea had a somewhat better day today, think its because I've been so busy all day and also now don't have to deal with my dad because I'm at my sisters house for the night. But I can already feel me starting to go down hill and im scared how bad it'll get tonight honestly. 

But im alright at the moment and that's all that matters aha. hope your doing alright too! Thanks for everything  <3

Hey, 
    Just wanted to check in and see how you are getting on today?
    Hope you are ok
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I dont experience panic attacks. Ive had a few in my life but not many. And theyrr horrible so i really feel for everyone who experiences them frequently. But i do get constantly out of breath from axniety/general stress and mindfullness and breathing from my stomach not my chest helps. when stress you can breath from chest not stomach and it makes you feel out of breath. Its taken me ages to realise when im doing this. But now i can feel it

how are you doing now?

i really hope youre okay. <3 here if you want to talk more
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    edited June 2020
    @GreenTea thanks for checking in, I’ve had a crazy (good) day today actually, a fun fitness class this morning, it’s got super sunny. I played with rabbits. Also I had a catch up with my dance friends since it’s one of their birthdays in a couple of days, I’m very proud of myself for going since it was so busy outside. And also I found out I was a give away winner for all this really cool dance stuff!! I’m through the roof shocked aha. Still got the little things twiddling away but had a decent day, one of my best in a while. Hope your okay today aswell  <3

only thing is we still don’t have WiFi :anguished: and that means I don’t think I’m going to be able to get into group chat tonight :disappointed: