Home Gender & Sexuality
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pride Month (Lets talk Pansexuality)

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
For pride month i thought we could learn a bit about different sexualities and genders, first up i've gone for Pansexuality! 

Pride Llama - Pansexual iPad Case  Skin by SaoirseArts  Redbubble
Pansexuality is defined as a sexual, romantic or emotional(i'll do a post about attraction if people want it!) attraction towards people regardless of their sex or gender identity. meaning someones gender or sex is not a determining factor in their attraction towards them. Its all about loving their soul. 

The number of youth who identify as pansexual has doubled since 2012. (Including yours truly!)

Heres some myths busted!

Myth: Pansexuality has something to do with Pans.
Fact: Pansexuality has nothing to do with pans of any form(though i do enjoy a few of the jokes haha)
Pan is from the Greek prefix for "pan" meaning all.

Myth: Pansexuality isn't real.
Fact: Just like Bisexuality this is commonly overlooked as being real and in fact is generally less accepted than Bisexuality. Many people believe those who are bi or pan are indecisive or haven't picked a side. 
The fact is, is that its very real and these individuals just love people for who they are.

Myth: Bisexuality and Pansexuality are the same thing.
Fact: This is a common one, but there is a difference. simply put, Bisexuality is attraction to 2 genders or sexes. (Bi meaning 2) and Pansexuality is the attraction to people of any gender or sex(Pan meaning all)
Whichever someone identifies with is their preference.

Myth: Pansexual people are promiscuous or can't be monogamous.
Fact: The fact is, this is something you may hear a lot, and its common with bisexual people too. 
No matter what the sexuality it does not tie into their choice in partners, or commitment. Meaning just because someone loves anyone regardless of gender, doesn't mean they'll be attracted to everyone and anyone.

Lastly,
Myth: When a pan person dates someone of the opposite sex they are straight (and vice versa)
Fact: Ones sexuality does not change because of who they are dating. you could get married to the same or opposite sex and still be pan. (same for Bi too!)

If you have any suggestions or want to make of your own go ahead! i look forward to hearing it :)

(If you any questions you can also ask away x)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Love this! Thank you so much for sharing @Laine, and for being vulnerable. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    This is fab, so thanks for posting it. Bi and pansexuality especially are sooooo poorly understood so it’s great to bust the myths about them :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Love this, thank you for sharing! 
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Wonderful thread @Laine! Thanks so much for sharing it. Pansexuality is still widely misunderstood by both allies and members of the LGBT+ community, so threads like these are great to get people talking. 

Here's an interesting article on Healthline that breaks down some myths about pansexuality, bisexuality and utilises some excellent resources.