Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

confused about my mental health symptoms

katiekatie Posts: 4 Newbie
edited June 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
I'm not 100% sure on what this website is fully about and I definitely don't understand how the discussion boards work but I was wondering if anyone can help explain something. I suffer from depression and I'm currently taking medication for it, however I have never explained this next part to my doctor. Sometimes I have these "manic episodes", as I call them, that usually stem from a panic attack or being extremely upset. My average panic attacks I can deal with but when I get like this I cannot control my breathing or my crying, I smash and throw things, I rock on the spot, I am erratic and will sit out in the rain with no shoes, I scream so loud and cry and shout, everything is terrifying and confusing to me. I will try hurt myself (I have no idea why) Usually comes along with some sort of self harm or suicidal thoughts. Can anyone help by explaining what this is to me? Many thanks in advance (and sorry if I'm not using the discussion board correctly!)
Post edited by Stephanie on

Comments

• katiekatie Posts: 4 Newbie
    P.S.- Sometimes I just want someone to hold me until I calm down and sometimes I want no one to touch me at all, it is very confusing and scary to me
    anyone at all?
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Hey @katie, firstly welcome to The Mix!
    I'm not a professional but to me it sounds as if the panic spirals into something more? Which I can understand, I myself get panic attacks and I know how hard it can be to come down from them. It could be helpful to try some grounding techniques when you first realise you're panicking. Think about your surroundings, how things feel physically, what are you senses telling you? This will help you focus on the physical world rather than what's going on mentally.

Most of the time I think people want to feel something e.g. Rocking is comforting, hitting things creates pain, the rain may feel cold. So maybe validating how you're feeling could help? Let yourself be anxious, angry or happy but make sure you acknowledge these in a healthy way. If your angry, think about why you're angry and what you can do calm yourself. Appreciate the happy days also, think what is making you happy? Can you recreate what this is on days when your feeling down?

It's really brave of you to reach out about this! 

Hugs! 

Alis propriis volat 
    Thank you very much Eleanor, it is very appreciated!
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Hey Katie,

Welcome to The Mix community :heart:

Really great to have you here, it sounds like you are going through a difficult time at the minute. We are here for you

Just wanted to let you know I have edited your post slightly just to remove the parts that say how you self-harm, just to keep the whole community safe :heart: 
    I have also moved your thread over to the health and wellbeing section on the discussion boards as it seems more appropriate 

Sending hugs to you :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.