Home Articles
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can I marry my 16-year-old girlfriend? - The Mix

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited April 2020 in Articles

imageCan I marry my 16-year-old girlfriend? - The Mix

Will I need permission to marry my girlfriend? The Mix explains parental consent when marrying young.

Read the full story here

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    hernandez09hernandez09 Posts: 1 Just got here
    This is just a question that i always wanted to ask and want to know that can a 18 or a 19 Year old girl marry Somone with a big gap of age. Or its not allowed
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,312 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 2020
    Welcome to the community @hernandez09. :)

This is an interesting one. The law tends not to care about age gaps, assuming both people are of consenting age and neither one is in a position trust over the other (e.g. their teacher).

It's also worth noting, though, that age gaps can come with some extra considerations. Sometimes, they can create a power imbalance in a relationship which can lead to unhealthy behaviours. And there may be some practical things to consider. For example, both people could want very different things from life depending on how old they are. That's not always the case, of course, and many people are quite happy in relationships with big age gaps. It's about what works for them.

Is this something related to a situation you're in, hernandez? :)
    Post edited by JustV on
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.