Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is living alone bad?

tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
edited April 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
Whenever I say I wanna do something or thought something and so a certain person like they reply the opposite so.
So I said I would like to live alone. And they are like I wouldn't wanna live alone only with friends I find it hard not to take personally. I also don't really respond well to what could be taken as passive comments whereas I don't mind if people say things straight forwardly and clearly what their reasons are.
But it's not really a choice for me as I don't really have friends id be comfortable to live with. I wouldn't wanna live in some abusive relationship either. 

And it makes me feel bad. I can get that living alone might suck in someways and i might regret it but I wanna like try it and think it could have advantages. Because I wanna move out even if temporary. Maybe now is probably the worst time to live alone but in normal times I think it can be great. I want to though give it a chance. I will probably struggle to get my needs met and all maybe get lonely a lot, but i feel like i need to experience more.

It's also that my parents already don't have much support for me moving out and it doesn't really help people saying such things to me. It feels like loners are looked down on. Especially females who are alone like it's treated as wrong to be alone. And I don't like that feeling of being an outsider. 

I guess just their opinion and everyone is different but they always say things against.
Like I say I dont like the way blah blah certain organisation treated me and they are like they were like they were fine for me while not really like considering my view and the fact they have completely different issues to me and live in a different area. Anyways I also wanted to ask what people think about living alone in practical terms.
Is it hard? I know people who go out a lot but then my friend said most people don't want to go out other than on weekend.
Thanks. 

Comments

• Options
    Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    Hey @tkdog it's cool that you are thinking of living alone and considering these options, but its understandable that other peoples opinions can have an impact on these decisions. You mentioned that living with friends wouldn't be an option as you wouldn't feel comfortable and that's okay. If you feel that living alone could have some advantages then that's really positive, and it's also good that you can recognise the pros and cons as well.  :)

In situations like these it can be made tougher when those around us aren't supportive of the decisions we make, you said your parents aren't fully supportive of you moving out, and you are worried about the way people may treat you. In terms of living alone, a lot of people are doing it now and it's more accepted and "normal" than you may think, some people just prefer their own company and space and that's completely okay if that's you. 

It sounds like you feel that sometimes people don't listen to your views much, and sometimes try to override your opinions with theirs, is that right?  <3

Personally, I still live with my parents so haven't got any advice to give you on living alone, however I think it does just depend on the person and how they prefer to live, some may want to be around people all the time and be uncomfortable in their own company, and others may be fine. It's important to try and found out which type of person you are. 

Hopefully others with experience will be able to contribute more to this! keep up updated.  :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    edited April 2020
    Yeah it's hard sometimes not letting others influence you. I try but it did make me rethink stuff. I wouldn't wanna go too far into the deep end but id
    like to try something. It is still possible id try live with others temporarily but my parents wouldn't like that either. And i dont see it happening realistically. And in the past i have been abused by housemates or ignored by them so i haven't experienced it well.

Yeah sometimes it feels like people ignore me. I guess this particular person has their style of communication that can sometimes be a be insenstive. But that means that I don't usually talk about certain things to that person as a result. 

I just feel very stuck at home and unable to do the things I want. I wanna try to do more stuff while being at home but at the same time i feel limited. I know moving won't solve all my problems necessarily and may create more but id like to try to experience something else. My dad says I hate walking alone and that but I think i really enjoy that. But he doesn't often like me doing so at least in certain area because he thinks it is dangerous.
  • Options
    JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,874 Extreme Poster
    I lived on my own for years - every situation has its good and bad points. Personally I much prefer living alone.... but I think it depends on your personality and needs. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again