Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New diagnosis

_AJ__AJ_ Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
Heya,
So today I had my first session with a private therapist. It was rather tough, as was to be expected. She has made a diagnosis of PTSD, which hardly comes as a surprise but is a little overwhelming at the moment as I am trying to process exactly what that means for me. It's a term that had been thrown around for a while, but never quite tied down and whilst diagnoses can be helpful to explain and means people understand things more, at the same time it makes it very real...  I had to do a trauma questionnaire (traumatic in itself) and I scored worryingly highly and the seriousness of it all has hit me. I'm feeling... scared? I guess? It feels very different to explicitly address these things head on and there are so many what ifs in my head about it all. Plus, having had an exceptionally bad few days its all been a little bit much to process. I feel a little bit lost at the moment actually and I know this is going to be tough. Although maybe I am just overthinking it all... I just don't quite know what to do with the information and though it doesn't exactly change anything, in some ways it does. The world briefly stopped spinning for me and I just can't quite process. 
Aj xx

Comments

• JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @_AJ_

Thought after just replying to your other thread I'd say hi on here too. That's heavy news to hear dude. 

You probably know this. But give yourself some time to process things. Sounds like you have the sort of brain to want to accelerate things along. But speaking from a person who has also experienced PTSD, there are different levels to understanding what's happening. 

Besides writing some of your thoughts on here, have you been tempted to write your thoughts down in a journal? 

Anyway mate, go easy on yourself and stay safe. Hope these next few days offer time for productive reflection 🙏
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    hey :) i'm sorry you had to hear that news, but hopefully it will help in the long run, knowing there's a name for what you're going through.
    I remember when I was disgnosed I was like 'what theres a name for it?' :lol:  I really didn't think I had it, but it has helped to know what i'm going through is a normal reaction to trauma...
    how are you feeling about it now you've had some time to mull it over?
    I found it helpful cause I knew there was a reason I'm how I am.. something that helped me was like jamjar said, writing things down, it helps get verything out of my brain and onto paper, so it's not whizzing around in my head <3

Hope you're coping okay <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • _AJ__AJ_ Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    JamJar said:
    Hey @_AJ_

Thought after just replying to your other thread I'd say hi on here too. That's heavy news to hear dude. 

You probably know this. But give yourself some time to process things. Sounds like you have the sort of brain to want to accelerate things along. But speaking from a person who has also experienced PTSD, there are different levels to understanding what's happening. 

Besides writing some of your thoughts on here, have you been tempted to write your thoughts down in a journal? 

Anyway mate, go easy on yourself and stay safe. Hope these next few days offer time for productive reflection 🙏
    Hey @JamJar
    Thanks! :) 
    Sorry you've also experienced PTSD, it's a bit rough. I am trying my best to process. I write a lot of poetry, so am mainly using that as my outlet at the moment. 
    Hopefully will have some rest soon- got exams today and tomorrow which is in some ways providing a welcome distraction. 
    AJ :) 
  • _AJ__AJ_ Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    hey :) i'm sorry you had to hear that news, but hopefully it will help in the long run, knowing there's a name for what you're going through.
    I remember when I was disgnosed I was like 'what theres a name for it?' :lol:  I really didn't think I had it, but it has helped to know what i'm going through is a normal reaction to trauma...
    how are you feeling about it now you've had some time to mull it over?
    I found it helpful cause I knew there was a reason I'm how I am.. something that helped me was like jamjar said, writing things down, it helps get verything out of my brain and onto paper, so it's not whizzing around in my head <3

Hope you're coping okay <3
    Hey @BubblesGoesBoo
    In some ways I think it might help to have a name for it, because it makes it real and in some ways stops me thinking that it's not as big a deal as I thought, but also it's scary because it makes it real, if that makes sense? 
    I'm still feeling kinda overwhelmed by it all to be honest. Like I said, it has just come at a bad time and I am feeling quite vulnerable. Plus, immediately I started being very practical about it and that is quite scary. I've had to contact uni and am speaking to the disability services tomorrow. But part of me just wants to pretend it doesn't exist, y'know? 
    Writing things down is good :) 
    Take care! xx