Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New therapist

_AJ__AJ_ Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
Hiya,
So, on Monday I have my first session with a private therapist who I have found after being discharged from the NHS for being 'too complicated'. I am funding this myself (hopefully with some uni hardship funds kicking in at some point) and am not telling my parents (the therapy is primarily due to PTSD caused by my relationships at home). I have seen new therapists many times before, but am finding this particularly difficult as it is over the phone (I really struggle to read people and get quite anxious around new people anyway) and normally I would bring a friend along, but this time I can't because of the whole lockdown thing! Wondered if anyone had any advice? Part of me is putting a lot of pressure on it because I am paying myself and can't really afford it, so feel like I need to make the most of it. 
AJ xx

Comments

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    hey! first of all im sorry the NHS discharged you, that doesn't seem fair..

do you have privacy at home? all my appointments have been changed to phone calls and I find them anxious as well, and that's with people I've known for years! so can't imagine how it must feel to speak to someone new. but some things I have found helpful is having my phone on speaker and playing with fidget toys or just something to keep my hands busy without concentrating too much on it so the call has my full attention. <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    _AJ__AJ_ Posts: 117 The Mix Convert

do you have privacy at home? all my appointments have been changed to phone calls and I find them anxious as well, and that's with people I've known for years! so can't imagine how it must feel to speak to someone new. but some things I have found helpful is having my phone on speaker and playing with fidget toys or just something to keep my hands busy without concentrating too much on it so the call has my full attention. <3
    Hey @BubblesGoesBoo
    It was a pain, especially given i'd been referred by CAMHS. Adult services just don't seem to have the capacity and I have a theory they realised I was more complicated than simply putting me on some meds (gosh, i am on enough already!) I am on a wait list for ED therapy with the NHS, but the wait is long... 
    I don't really have any privacy at home, so will have to go out while on the phone. 
    Thanks for the advice :))
    AJ xx
  • Options
    dancertoridancertori Posts: 127 The Mix Convert
    Good luck with therapy.x

• Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    _AJ_ said:

Hey @BubblesGoesBoo
    It was a pain, especially given i'd been referred by CAMHS. Adult services just don't seem to have the capacity and I have a theory they realised I was more complicated than simply putting me on some meds (gosh, i am on enough already!) I am on a wait list for ED therapy with the NHS, but the wait is long... 
    I don't really have any privacy at home, so will have to go out while on the phone. 
    Thanks for the advice :))
    AJ xx
    Hey, yeahh I know adult services are stretched, tell me about it! (med wise) surprised I don't rattle when I walk haha..

i'm glad you're on the list for therapy, that's a start, do you know how long it would take? I know the mix do counselling (if you're not already in it) I don't know if they have any spaces left but might be worth looking into? <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''