Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Please help

DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, I just don’t know what to do anymore. 

I feel like my anxiety has been getting slowly worse over the past few weeks, but I have no idea why.  I feel like my chest is constantly tight and I can’t breathe, I don’t know how to stop it. I’ve been feeling low as well, I don’t know why. Yesterday was a good day nothing bad happened, but I just got into the shower (practically the only time I get to myself) and just burst out crying, I don’t even know why, but I don’t know what to do to stop it. Nothing I’ve tried is working and I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to feel like this forever

The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 

Comments

• Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Dandelion

Sending you huge hugs - I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling like this <3

We are all here for you so keep chatting to us if you find that it's helping!
    Our crisis messenger text service provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. If you’re aged 25 or under, and are experiencing any painful emotion or are in crisis, you can text THEMIX to 85258.

It is such a weird time at the moment with the state of the world that it's totally not surprising that you're feeling like this. 

Have you got any support at home?

Mind have some good, simple self-care treatments for anxiety here if you want to try some of these out over the next few days: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/self-care-for-anxiety/
  • Options
    @Han93 thanks for replying. I’ve been working up the courage to talk to my mum about it for a few days and I finally did. But she just ignored me and changed the subject, so know I don’t know what to do because I can’t talk to anyone here about it. 
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Dandelion sending you hugs 💜

I can really empathise with how you’re feeling as I’ve felt similarly myself by the way you’re describing it. There isn’t always a specific reason for feeling this way. You’re not alone and we are here to help and chat though. 

Do you want to talk a little more about your situation and how you’ve been feeling over the past few days? 

- Lucy 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    Hi @Lucy307 thanks for your reply, I’m sorry you’re also feeling anxious. 

I’ve been experiencing worsening anxiety for about 7 months, I started medication for it about 2 months ago and whilst it helped a bit at first, I feel like it is starting to work less and less. 

With everything that is going on my appointment with my GP got cancelled and as I struggle to talk to anyone else he is normally the only person I can talk to. So I think at the minute the fact that I don’t know when I will be able to talk to someone about this isn’t really helping. 

Lots of things are also changing at the minute, which I don’t think I cope particularly well with. My uni have changed our exam format, which I’m kind of struggling with, as now I don’t know how to revise for it, and I’m not really motivated to revise anyway at the minute. 

Over the past few days though I just wake up feeling really anxious, it lasts for a couple of hours then it gets a bit better during the day, then at night it’s back again. It makes my chest feel really tight and makes me kind of breathless, but it’s not as bad as a panic attack. 
  • Options
    JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hey @Dandelion it's really good to see how self aware you are as to how you're feeling and even more encouraging to see the Mix community that is coming around you to support and be hear to talk to :) 

Having lots of things changing is difficult as it is, let alone if someone is also feeling anxious already. Often anxiety is a sensation that makes us feel out of control, so then to have your surrounding environment be changing in ways that are out of your control can be doubly as tough. Being as aware of it as you are though will surely help you stay strong during it all 💪 

You say that the past few days have started the same way of feeling anxious for a few hours. I was wondering, could you go for a run as soon as you wake up? Or do some form of exercise? The amount of cordisol (aka the stress chemical) that's released during exercise can often deplete your coridsol resources so much that it's chemically impossible to feel stressed/anxious. Not promising anything but a bit of exercise might help? 💃
  • Options
    I’ve been trying to exercise within my house as I don’t really like leaving the house at the minute. It helps whilst I’m doing the exercise but as soon as I stop I feel anxious again 
  • Options
    Jade09Jade09 Moderator Posts: 660 Incredible Poster
    edited April 2020
    Hey @Dandelion it's really positive that you have been trying to exercise within the house, and also as you mentioned it can definitely help but sometimes the anxious feelings aren't taken away completely right? 

Have you tried any crafts activities? sometimes they can be good as they are able to stimulate the brain and can be an ace distraction!  <3

More relaxing activities such as mediation can also be really beneficial just to bring you back to the moment and reduce some of the feelings. Is this something you have tried previously? If not, there are free apps that allow free trials for their services ( Head space, Calm and Stop Breathe and Think). Also, at the moment a Psychologist called Emma Kenny is doing regular meditation sessions on her social media, I think if you have a look on twitter and type her name in you should be able to view the information.  :)

The website Anxiety UK is also a good resource, they provide support for those with anxiety and they can give you suggestions on how to manage better. If that's something you are interesting in i'll pop the info in the spoiler.  :)

Anxiety UK can offer practical advice and information on support services that are available. They can offer this advice to anybody affected by anxiety, stress and/or anxiety based depression, their family, friends, loved ones and professionals, including parents of children with anxiety.

Telephone: 03444775774

Email: support@anxietyuk.org.uk

Live Chat Advisory Service: Available during office hours, via the website.

Text: 07537 416 905

Services are available Monday – Friday 9.30am – 5.30pm (excluding Bank Holidays). For more information about the infoline services, click here.

Calls cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02) and must be included in inclusive minutes and discount schemes in the same way. Calls from landlines and mobiles are included in free call packages.

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hi @Jade09, yeah I absolutely love doing crafts, I’m currently making friendship bracelets. I find it a really good distraction as I have to concentrate quite a lot. I’m just trying to balance my time as I have so much uni work to do I can’t spend all day making friendship bracelets, although I’d much rather do that. I have tried using headspace before, but didn’t really get on with it, I might give it another go though. Thank you for the suggestions I really appreciate it x
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy! 

I think i know the tight chest feeling. Its like constant feeling but not s panic attack? I feel like that a lot. Like i have to deep breath until i feel like a taken a statify breath but then my chest feels tight again. And seen the doctos many times for it thinking all sort of things but its stress and its because when youre stressed you breath from your chest not from your stomach and need to breath all the way down. When stressed and anxious you feel tight in your body and you dont let yourself relax and breath all the way down. Once you notice when you do it it can help. But can make it worse sometimes lol. Im sorry if thats mot what it is tho. 

Its a hard thing with things constantly changing. Im not sure what sort of things you can take control over. But i changed my room around and it made me feel better. 

Also sounds like you need some space. I hope you find a way to feel more comfortable
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley