Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wanting to hurt others

HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
I sometimes want to hurt others, when I'm feeling really down or in a really bad place mentally my mind just fades and goes off on a tangant about hurting others. It's all I can think about and go into intense detail. I know it's not healthy, what can I do?

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt

You did well to share this with us today. Opening up about it here is a great step towards getting the support you deserve :heart:

Having intense thoughts about wanting to others sounds really scary for you to cope with. But, just as @Aidan says, you are not your thoughts - and I think that's something that is really important to remember. These thoughts say nothing about your character. It's just a way that your mind may be reacting to difficult feelings, and a way that I know other people experience too. This means that you are not alone in feeling this way - and there is support out there for you :heart:

As suggested above, one way of getting support for this could be visiting a GP. Alternatively you could speak to somebody you trust - is there a trusted adult in your life that you can think of? You could also speak to The Mix, or other mental health charities too. How would you feel about this?

Take good care :smile:
  • ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Intrusive thoughts are normal to have, I have them all the time. When I almost acted out on a bad one I went to my doctor. She explained that even if you have these thoughts, there is something in your brain that keeps you from acting out on it. Some sort of safety lock that gets you out of any real dangerous situations.

I think it's wise for you to understand where it's coming from as you said that it happens when you feel down. Is there a reason or reasons why you are down? Ask yourself the 'why' question multiple times to get the core of the issue. The changes you can make at the core will be the most beneficial. Maybe talking about it with someone can help as well. Professionals help you guide it if you feel a bit lost, they can help you make yourself feel better.

Take care  <3
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • lara_maclara_mac Posts: 9 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi there,

It's so brave to reach out about this. 

If this makes sense, your thoughts are not you. They do not define you. Unwanted thoughts are a thing. And its not your fault. Its how we manage them :) 

I find
    • Reading
    • Baking
    • Music
    • Tv
    All great things to distract myself. Take care x