Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

sleep difficulties (possible trigger warning)

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
i’ve been really struggling with my sleep recently. because of the mess that is my mental health i make sure i’m off my phone at least half an hour before bed and generally i turn my light off and start trying to sleep at about 20:30-20:45. recently, as soon as i turn my light off and lie down i get incredibly anxious, and then can’t get to sleep because i’m having a mini panic attack but i have no idea why. once i eventually am asleep, i wake up so many times during the night, particularly once it’s past midnight. the past four nights i’ve woken up at about 3am and not been able to get fully back to sleep for more than about twenty minutes at a time and end up lying there half asleep or fully awake for ages. this leaves me exhausted and it’s so hard to get through the school day, and this lack of sleep is not what i need in the year i’m doing my a levels because it just makes me so drained and unmotivated. it also puts me stuck in the cycle of bad sleep causes bad mental health, but bad mental health causes bad sleep, and i don’t know how to get out of the cycle. i’m struggling so much, people at school are regularly asking me if i’m okay and i don’t want to tell everyone what’s happening because i have a few specific people i talk to it about properly, but i just feel like nothing is working or helping, and it leaves me exhausted and hopeless.

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @itsquietuptown

Just wanted to pop on to send you some hugs, it sounds like your going through a difficult stage at the minute. 

Do you feel able to talk to your GP about this? Just cause they may be able to suggest something. Something that helps me when I can't sleep are using like calming essential oils, like lavender roll on things that you put on pressure points, I have also got the sleepy lotion from lush, sometimes it helps. Could be worth trying something like that. Just an idea

Have you thought about writing everything down and get it out of your head, so you don't have them going on in your head when your trying to sleep.

We are here for you and care about you-hopefully you'll get this sleep stuff sorted and have full nights sleeps soon :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Hey @itsquietuptown

im sorry youre struggling with your sleep so much, have you thought about speaking to your GP about this?

some things that help me sleep are lighting a candle when I get home from work so my rooms smells nice, sleeping with a lava lamp on (its calming) or using my Himalayan salt lamp, drinking a sleepy tea before bed, writing everything down before bed so its not circling my head and sleeping with a comfort item :)

let me know what kinds of things you try and what helps/doesn't, ill try find some links aswell for you :)

during group we done a whole session on sleep so i'll dig that out aswell :) <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''