Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Binge eating

honeyxxhoneyxx Posts: 65 Boards Initiate
Hi does anyone struggle with binge eating or struggle to go a day without an 'unhealthy' snack? I'm trying so hard to eat healthily and only let myself have unhealthy foods on the weekend but I'm struggling as I'm so addicted. I can go a day without a treat and its stressing me out! 

Comments

• coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @honeyxx

It sounds like you are having some difficult feelings towards food at the moment so it's great that you felt able to share that with us here. We are here for you :smile:

It's really good to care about keeping healthy, however it's important to remember that this is all about balance. We need a variety of nutrients to keep our bodies healthy so it is okay to eat a treat when our bodies are craving one :smile:

You mentioned the terms binge eating and I am wondering if you'd like to talk a little bit more about this? :heart:Childline has a helpful advice page that explains how much is healthy to eat, as well as what binge eating might look like, to help you decide whether you are eating healthily or if you would perhaps like some support with your eating habits. It's important to know when reading this that it's absolutely okay to ask for help if you need it - you deserve to be supported :smile:

If you would like some support, the Childline advice page recommends Beat, an eating disorder charity. I can also be a good idea to visit a GP about any health worries you might have, as they are the health experts. And of course we are always here to listen as well :smile:

Take good care! :heart:
  • mags98mags98 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @honeyxx,

Every person is different and different diets work for different people. An important part about heathy eating is not putting too much pressure on yourself as it can some times go to the opposite of what you are trying to achieve (eg by restricting yourself too much it can sometimes make you want to eat even more). 

Going a day without a treat isn't a bad thing and you shouldn't make yourself feel bad about it. Is there a particular reason why you only let yourself have unhealthy foods on the weekend? (I don't want to over step so if it's a sensitive reason and you're not comfortable don't feel pressured to answer)

There is a study that was done on rats thats suggests sugar might be as addictive as cocaine so that's a fun little fact