Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Intrusive thoughts - trigger warning

itsquietuptownitsquietuptown Posts: 36 Boards Initiate
i’m really struggling with intrusive thoughts recently, i’ll be feeling okay and then all of a sudden my brain is just like “hurt yourself” and in my head i see images of what i could do and i feel how it would feel and it’s so vivid that a couple of times it’s caused me to have a panic attack but most of the time i just kind of shut down and have to try not to listen to them. i used to hurt myself regularly but i’ve been clean for about five months now. i also have thoughts about how i should eat less or make myself sick. even when i sleep i sometimes dream about hurting myself or about situations to do with eating and wake up through the night feeling anxious. i don’t know how to cope with these thoughts and i’m scared soon i’ll give in and listen to them and do something bad. 

Comments

• StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Hey itsquietuptown :heart:

It sounds like you are struggling at the minute, we are here for you, so it's positive that you are reaching out for support. 

Do you have any other support in place? 

How are you feeling now? I know it's been a few hours since you posted this.

We care about you :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Heey itsquietuptown :)

im sorry you're having a rough time, do you have any support that could help with this?

I know it's hard I really do, but try and block out these intrusive thoughts as much as you can, it is possible to overcome them

do you like reading? I read a book called 'overcoming unwanted intrusive thoughts' and would highly recommend it :) its CBT based and teaches skills to overcome them :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    That can feel really overwhelming. :(<3 youre doing really well to not give in and post on here. Do you know what else has helped in the past?

Sorry i dont have much else to add. But here for you and i hope you are keeping yourself safe and taking lots of care <3
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley