Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sister who I think is pregnant

Hi

I have a 13 year old sister and I think that she pregnant. She has been seeing a guy for 2 years since she started secondary, I know they've been having sex but recently she has been acting odd like avoiding me, wearing her school jumper at school when she says she gets to hot in it. She also wore her zip up hoodie to dinner to hide her belly. 

I think she might be starting to show. Help!

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey, welcome!

How's it making you feel? It sounds worrying for you <3

Do you think you could talk to her about this? It's a really young age to be pregnant so I think if she is, she's going to need help and to be checked over by medical professionals.

It's also possible she could be trying to hide something else of course. I'd definitely suggest trying to approach her and get her to open up about it. Make sure you act calm and just say something like, "is something wrong? You're confusing me with this behaviour and I'm a bit concerned that you're pregnant or something. You can trust me, I won't judge or have a reaction."

Does anyone else know about this?
  • Options
    Tigger16Tigger16 Posts: 2 Newbie
    As far as I know nobody knows.
  • Options
    chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Welcome to the boards @Tigger16!

It sounds like you're really worried about your sister right now. I can definitely see how her behaviour is confusing for you - I think your concern is totally valid. 

How do you feel about speaking to her about this? If she is pregnant, or is going through another kind of physical or mental health issue, she might be feeling especially vulnerable at the moment. If that's the case, my best advice is just to approach her from a place of support. Make sure she knows that you have her best interests in mind and that you're not there to judge her. I think @Kathleen07 is spot on with her example of what you could say. 

Please let us know how you get on and if there's anything we can do to support you <3
  • Options
    coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Hi @Tigger16

Welcome to the boards! This sounds like a worrying time for you so well done for opening up, you did the best thing :smile:

As @Kathleen07 mentioned, there are a many reasons your sister could be acting this way. I can totally understand why you are feeling concerned, and it shows you are a very caring sister, but I think before you worry too much about a pregnancy the very best thing you can do is speak to her. I haven't been in this exact situation, but whenever I have been worried about my older brother for potentially personal reasons, Ive found it's easier to text him. It means both he and I have time to process what we want to say, and it's just a more comfortable way to confide for matters like this. But it depends how your relationship with your sister is :smile: How do you think that would be?

We are all here for you! Take good care :heart: 
  • Options
    ValerialettoValerialetto Posts: 87 Budding Regular
    hello @Tigger16,

I understand you perfectly cause I have my sister also to worry about..

I read what other guys wrote about your situation and I fully agree that it depends a lot from you relationship with her. What do you think if to write her a letter? Maybe sounds weird, but I think it can help. When you try to speak with her directly she thinks that you're pushing her (if you 're right she's really stressed, so all not really pleasant interactions disturb her very much right now). And if you write her a letter where you offer her your help, promise keep her secrets etc. she will feel that there's person who cares but at the same time doesn't interfere that much.

There are a lot of things which are difficult to talk about especially with close people, so maybe writing is a way out.

It's very nice of you that you care about her so much and that you try to be so supportive ..I hope it'll be really fine soon and you'll clarify all the issues with your sister  <3
  • Options
    HannahHannah Posts: 30 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Tigger16 I understand your concern, this must be really stressful for you as you obviously care a lot about your sister. She doesn't seem like she feels she can speak about what might be going on, so maybe you should start the conversation with her? Let her know that youre there for her and that you will be supportive, make her feel comfortable to speak with you about what might be happening. <3