Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Letter to doctor

pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
Hi everyone,

I know I’ve not been around for a while so hope everyone’s doing well, if you’re not I’m always up for a chat! 

So I’m off to uni next month, and since I’m moving away from home, I’ve been sorting a lot out and finishing with things here. One of those things was seeing my GP for the last time (I had been seeing them every 3 months for mental health based checkups) because I’ll have to register with a new GP practice in my uni city. 

As my GP has helped me a lot and done so much for me for both my mental and physical health, I wanted to send them a card/letter to say thank you, which I already did after the first time I saw them, when they gave me the courage to contact a counsellor, but would it be appropriate for me to put my new address in my uni city on the letter as a return address? I’d rather wait until I went to uni to send it since my mum thinks it’s a bit weird to send it in the first place (since my GP isn’t my friend). I know this sounds a strange thing to ask but it’s just in case my GP isn’t allowed to have my new address even though I’m not their patient any more? 

Pumpkin

Comments

• Options
    chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Hi @pumpkinpie :)

Congratulations on being off to uni! It seems like you're going about preparing for everything really sensibly. 

I think sending a thank you card/letter is a really lovely idea and a great way to let your GP know that you appreciate all the support and advice they've given you. I don't think it's strange at all for you to want to acknowledge the great care they've provided you with over the years. It's so difficult these days to maintain such a good relationship with your healthcare provider. 

In terms of giving out your new address, I don't see any problems arising from that. You'll be registered with your new university medical practice and your patient records will be maintained by them. 

Let us know what you decide to do <3

Best of luck!
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Heey! good to see you again :)

I think sending your GP a letter/card is a great idea :) and well done for going off to uni! :) <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    pumpkinpiepumpkinpie Posts: 129 The Mix Convert
    Thanks @chubbydumpling @BubblesGoesBoo

They really appreciated it when I did it before so I reckon I will. I was planning to send other people thank you letters too- I’ve always liked sending letters and cards instead of texts and emails!

Pumpkin