Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Trouble with therapy

NekolovesteaNekolovestea Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
Hello guys ^-^

So i have been on a therapy for multiple months now for my social anxiety, yet i have told my therapist about my other problems concerning my depression and a possible psychosis, even though it is milder now. I have had 2 other therapists before which did not help me at all, but she is helping me more than the others. She opens my mind to some debates and discussions, but i dont feel like it is enough, my personal situation has been the same for over 2 years, and i feel like i need something else. I have asked my parents if i could see a psychiatrist but they abandonned the idea thinking my therapy would work. The truth is i believe they dont think my social anxiety is serious enough to seek a psychiatrist, yet i dont feel like telling them about my other problems. Considering all this, i decided to ask my therapist what she thinks about me wanting to see a psychiatrist, and my desire to put a clear name and diagnosis on my conditions. However, I do not feel comfortable at all asking her this, I was wondering if any of you had tips on how to be more comfortable when speaking about such things to a therapist, or any advice for my situation.

Thank you all, love you ♥ 
“You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two.” 
-Hayao Miyazaki

Comments

• JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Heya @Nekolovestea

I understand that your first two therapists weren't helpful, but you feel more comfortable with your current therapist. 

What makes you not feel comfortable about asking your therapist about seeing a psychiatrist? Is there any reason in particular that makes you nervous about talking about this topic with them?

If it helps any, your therapist might be used to this. They deal with this sort of stuff often, so they will most likely not be shocked by your want to see a psychiatrist. They'll be in a good position to give you advice related to this.

Did your parents give you a reason for not you to see a psychiatrist?

I can sympathise with you wanting to put a name and diagnosis on your condition. It's completely natural to want to know clearly what you are feeling, and it can help and reassure to have a name for what you are going through.

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hello guys ^-^

So i have been on a therapy for multiple months now for my social anxiety, yet i have told my therapist about my other problems concerning my depression and a possible psychosis, even though it is milder now. I have had 2 other therapists before which did not help me at all, but she is helping me more than the others. She opens my mind to some debates and discussions, but i dont feel like it is enough, my personal situation has been the same for over 2 years, and i feel like i need something else. I have asked my parents if i could see a psychiatrist but they abandonned the idea thinking my therapy would work. The truth is i believe they dont think my social anxiety is serious enough to seek a psychiatrist, yet i dont feel like telling them about my other problems. Considering all this, i decided to ask my therapist what she thinks about me wanting to see a psychiatrist, and my desire to put a clear name and diagnosis on my conditions. However, I do not feel comfortable at all asking her this, I was wondering if any of you had tips on how to be more comfortable when speaking about such things to a therapist, or any advice for my situation.

Thank you all, love you ♥ 
    Hey!

Firstly, it is good that you have been for therapy, it is a really good step towards recovery and getting better so well done for that <3 

I'm sorry to hear that the other two therapists didn't help at all, but I'm glad to here that your new one is. It's difficult when you feel like you need more support than you are currently receiving. In terms of advice on how to speak to your therapist then maybe if its easier you could write down what you would like to say or just say something alone the lines of "I feel I need more support than just therapy". Most likely she will be really support and happy with your choice and will hopefully be able to look into some more support and the options available to you.

Hugs,
    Butterfly x
  • NekolovesteaNekolovestea Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi again, and sorry for the late rresponse again, I've been quite busy

What makes me nervous about talking about with my therapist is that I fear that she takes it personnally or... well really I don't know, I'm just nervous about talking to her in general to the point that she turned her chair to the side so we dont face each other, which helps me a lot to say things more openly. I guess I am just nervous about what she will say, maybe she will tell me I'm wrong and not take me seriously, or maybe she will want to tell my parents about everything I have told her, I don't know.

And no, my parents did not give me any reason other than just the fact that they didn't think it would be necessary, but we did some procedures in the public healthcare to see one, I just haven't had any news in like, a year, so they basically gave up the idea, and I don't think they every really wanted me to see one anyways.

Thank you for your support, and now that you say it I realize that they must deal with this kind of thing all the time. I will see today if I can tell her in person, and if I can't I will try to write her an email, which I think will be much easier for me.

Thank you two for your love and support,
    Have a great day :heart:
    “You must see with eyes unclouded by hate. See the good in that which is evil, and the evil in that which is good. Pledge yourself to neither side, but vow instead to preserve the balance that exists between the two.” 
    -Hayao Miyazaki
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Let us know how you get on :) sending hugs! <3  Really hope it works out for you, if you want to see a psychiatrist then you should, put yourself first :) once you get a diagnosis you know what you're battling, so the road to recovery becomes easier <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy. Did you manage to speak to her about this? email or writing it down sounds like a good idea and can be easier. 

Its great youre doing things to help and thinking about how best you can get help as thats what you deserve and if feel need more help thats okay and people should support that

only you knowhow you feel or how bad it feels
    take care
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • NekolovesteaNekolovestea Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Sorry for the late update D:

So no, I have not said anything, I still think it is too soon even though I still feel frustrated, I just can't seem to force myself to write it down, I am scared of something but i don't know what. I will just wait a bit and see if I manage to say something one day.

Thank you all for your support and sorry again for the terrible post and the late reply.
    Love you all  <3
    -Hayao Miyazaki
  • Butterfly23Butterfly23 Posts: 810 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey you don’t need to apologise for anything here, we are all here to support you 💗
  • NatalieMTNatalieMT Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    My take of therapy and the different kinds, specific types of therapy whether it be psychotherapy, person center counselling and other forms of therapy are that each type of therapy is focused on specific parts and aspects of ourselves.

The reason behind different therapy’s is to help up compartmentalise those particular issues (whatever they may be) and to break those down in order to lesson the overwhelmingness we feel, and to break things down to make them more manageable.

This is how it has been explained to me. With a lot of therapies it is trial and error until you find which form of therapy fits you best for your needs at that time. 

Another element to therapy is during the seasons although we may feel like we’re not benefitting at all or progression therapy and what is discussed can impact on our unsubconcious mind it is part of us which makes us feel like we need more help, we need something else. No form of therapy is designed to fix us unfortunately but to assist us with providing us with the tools to manage life.

Sometimes with therapy we can simply need a break for a while to evaluate where we are at and to enable the information we have retained within our subconscience to develop. The thing with therapy it isn’t a natural thing to feel vulnerable enough to open ourselves up, it sounds strange but it takes ‘practice’ and time to be so open. 

Not sure of if I have made much sense here. 

Natalie 
  • Evelyn360Evelyn360 Posts: 82 Budding Regular
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Nekolovestea, have you thought about what it is you hope to gain from seeing a psychiatrist? Is it something that your therapist might be able to help with? Rather than feeling worried about them taking it personally you could try approaching it from a different angle and say I would like to get x,y and z from our discussions or something I hope to achieve through our talks is x,y and z and see what your therapist suggests?
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    ellie2000 said:
    Try damatherapy, also u can try different therapists until the one tht suits you. 
    Just to say I've had to delete your post above ellie and sink this thread since it's about a year old at this point. It's always good to keep an eye on how old a post is before you respond to it. :)

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.