Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Worried about other children

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
I was going home from work yesterday (I work in a nursery.) 

when a muslim woman came and sat next to me. She had 3 young children a boy and a girl who I would guess were 4-5 years and a baby in a pram maybe 1-2 years.

the older children were playing up taking their coats off, running around (basically being a kid)

she shouted at them telling them to put their coats on and then said “wait till you get in!”
she started talking to me about her life that her marriage had been arranged and that her husband was abusive and used to beat her. She said her mother wasn’t supportive of what happened and blamed her for the abuse and that now her ex husband is stalking her and her children.

one of the children tried to pull on my hair which I calmly told him not to. She ragged him away and said something about beating his butt. Then said to me that she had been uni and that she almost had a life before the children came. The children I noticed kept saying everything was bad for example they called me bad, my hair bad the bus bad pretty much everything they saw. I couldn’t help but think that they heard the word bad alot! 

She told me how she was just waiting to die one day. I managed to get the 2 eldest children name but not the 1/2 year old. I was hoping to get a little more information as I was concerned but unfortunately I wasn’t able to. I tried to see which house they were going into when they got off the bus but unfortunately I was unable to see as she walked back up the street.

I’m worried about them but there is nothing I can do now to help them but it’s been playing on my mind.

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,497 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2019
     suprising how open people can be about their life just when youre going home

i would be concerned if i heard that too. People who are abusive dont normally make it all thst obvious or sometimes their phrases mean different things compared to what other people think.  

Its hard when you feel you cant help now. She was that open to you & youre just on your way home, about how shes waiting to die. Shes maybe seeking any support - so it feels likely someone else will notice it all too
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    SophiASophiA Posts: 59 Boards Initiate
    It sounds as though you did all that you could in that situation. And, her just being able to talk to you about things may have helped her feel a lot  better. 

It sounds as though they are local so you may see them again in that area, if you wanted to you could go and speak to her again or just watch to see if she being more playful with the kids, she may have just been having a really bad day.