Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Surviving suicide attempts

LubnaLubna Deactivated Posts: 496 Listening Ear
edited May 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
Has anyone else survived suicide attempts? I keep hearing the noise and having flashbacks of my last suicide attempt a couple of months ago. Do you think I could have PTSD from it? It's not like I can just go to my gp because I am with CAMHS so my gp won't prescribe me anything and I don't see my consultant Psychiatrist until July. How do you all cope with flashbacks?

(Ps don't talk about suicide methods though).

Comments

• Options
    davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
    Make sure an friend or peer is aware that your having theirs flask backs and stuff, to make sure they know what's going on,

If it does happen try to start an conversation with someone or phone someone, I normally hear ever my mum or friends telling me "no, don't do it" which

It could be an possibility that you could get post traumatic stress disorder but won't know until you see someone to get an diagnosis first

Personally I haven't been that close to committing sucide, it just been the thoughts for me. 

Hope this helps
    davcr0ck 
    Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 
  • Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey,

I haven't attempted suicide (yet... hah), just dropping by to send hugs <3

You definitely could have PTSD from it. I'm not a professional, of course, though. Next to one of them, I think you're going to know the best on what's going on, so I would ask if you think you may have it? x

I've found a PDF on flashbacks, just in case it helps you <3http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/CopingwithFlashbacks.pdf

• Options
    chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    edited May 2019
    Hey there @Sham

I survived a suicide attempt about a year ago now, thanks to the intervention of some friends. It's definitely possible that what you're experiencing is PTSD, which can occur immediately or delayed after any traumatic event. For me, reliving the event is triggered by smells and sounds in particular. 

If you can't see your GP or consultant, consider reaching out to a helpline.

You can call The Mix here: 0808 808 4994 (7 days a week, 4pm - 11pm) 

OR

Access o
    ur crisis messenger text service which provides free, 24/7 crisis support across the UK. Just text THEMIX to 85258.

Flashbacks can be very scary and disorientating, and there's no shame in asking for help. I do a lot of things for self-care when I feel overwhelmed.

Things like:
    • Focusing on your breathing (slowly, in and out, to bring your heart rate down)
    • Keeping a note of triggers (maybe writing them down in a diary to pinpoint the early signs of a flashback)
    • Grounding yourself (if you dissociate during a flashback, it can be helpful to describe the things around you out loud, describe a place you feel safe, or even keep an object with you that holds positive memories)

Stay safe, and don't hesitate to get in contact if you're feeling unable to cope <3