Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I don't talk like that!

sozforhappysozforhappy Deactivated Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
edited April 2019 in General Chat
I find it extremely annoying when people say I have an Irish or Scottish or American accent when I don't! I don't even come from those places at all! Don't ask why I find this annoying, I hate having to explain and figure out in detail. It just gets on my nerves when people think I come from some random place by mistaking how I talk or look. Also some people think I'm Chinese because of my eyes (tho of course when they look at real Chinese people they see the difference). Like what on earth are they hearing/seeing??! It may be that I don't talk much so my voice comes out funny but still, or that I come from elsewhere near the places they think (probably explains the "Chinese eyes" but definitely not the Irish/Scottish bit).

I'd appreciate u don't ask where I actually come from either, I hate being specific like that especially when it's not the real issue and I'm not in the mood to talk about it. The truth is I was raised in England practically my whole life so I certainly don't have a foreign accent. People hearing so are totally irritatingly insane!!

Comments

• lymo227lymo227 Posts: 10 Settling in
    accents are funny
    especially when traveling
    there are so many accents withing england and uk 
    the way we learn to speak, the accents of the people who taught us to speak, those we surrund ourselves with.  i know people who after moving tend to speak more like their current area
    travel, moving, lots of things create the way we speak

i am sorry that people have commented on it
    maybe they are trying to make conversation?
    it is probbably an innocent question
    people starting conversation, getting to know you and they dont know it makes you uncomfortable
    finding out where people come from is very interesting to alot of people
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I agree with Lymo227. Though i can hear your frustation. :(
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • sozforhappysozforhappy Deactivated Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    edited April 2019
    lymo227 said:
    accents are funny
    especially when traveling
    there are so many accents withing england and uk 
    the way we learn to speak, the accents of the people who taught us to speak, those we surrund ourselves with.  i know people who after moving tend to speak more like their current area
    travel, moving, lots of things create the way we speak

i am sorry that people have commented on it
    maybe they are trying to make conversation?
    it is probbably an innocent question
    people starting conversation, getting to know you and they dont know it makes you uncomfortable
    finding out where people come from is very interesting to alot of people
    Yes but the point is I was never born or raised in those places so that's why it's annoying i sound like that to people and they think I have accents from there. It's like their ears are totally switched to a different sync when hearing me talk and I hate that my voice comes out like from places I have no relevance with to other people. (It's not that I care too much what people think, I just hate when they say it to me). Ur not getting it at all
    I simply hate people getting things wrong like that especially by how I naturally talk or look, yes I have heard my voice in recordings and clearly sound very different from Irish or Scottish people, my accent is pure English thank you! I was born in the far Eastern and raised here in London practically my whole life so of course I don't have anything to do with the former states. So other people are just something else! Just like when they think I'm Chinese but see the real difference when they compare me with people who actually come from there. It's probably just my tone of voice that makes me sound like that but certainly nothing to do with accent!
    edited April 2019
    It's not about being curious or anything, it's about them getting it wrong when I clearly don't come from those places. They already clearly see by how I look and telling them where I live