Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Flashbacks TW

casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
So i've suffered with flashbacks since 2013 from being attacked threatened and robbed and then after being sexually assaulted later that year. Since then its just been constant flashbacks from the minute i wake up to the minute i go to sleep. Its like im living in 3 worlds and then an addition world which i will come onto in a bit. But to summarise i see reality, then the first traumatic event and then the second traumatic event. In all of these i can see, hear and smell what i could then/ at that moment in time.

On top of that I was put into a psychiatric unit in 2017 and all i can see and feel and taste is what i could then and i have flashbacks of this all day as well. Its only of the journey there for this set of flashbacks though. Its the 4th world i live in practically. Ive tried to hard to manage it all but im not. I was meant to have trauma therapy for the last 6 weeks but my therapist has done anything related to the traumas and i only have this week and next week left of this therapy then im being discharged back to community/ uni support services. 

Sorry for it being so long just needed to get it off my chest
"Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" 
Lyndon B.Johnson 

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you, and what you're experiencing. I'm sorry I don't have much to say rn - I just wanted to let you know that I read this, and I hope you found it helpful to get this off your chest. Wishing you the best x
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Sending hugs! im sorry you're going through this too :( 

Do you know what you're triggers are? its okay if you don't, I still don't, but I've been told that's normally the best way to cope with flashbacks, knowing you're triggers and avoiding them.

What helps me is knowing when a flashback is coming on, to do this I wrote down in a diary what happens before and during them, like what I feel, any sensations in my body and so fourth. if you can tell when a flashback is coming on it's easier to get out of. some things that help me when I find those sensations coming on is I always carry popping candy as a way of grounding myself, that's the best thing that works for me, it helps me focus on all my senses at once. something else that helps me is I think in my friends voice just repeating over and over again 'you are safe, you are not in your past, name 5 things you can see'. these are the main things that help me (that and focusing on my breathing but I normally forget that one lol) hope you find some use out of them too :)

as for your therapy, could you tell them as soon as you go into the session that you want to work on the traumas? therapy is about you and getting you better so it's important to get off your chest what you need to, they should listen to you <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    casscubcasscub Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    Sending hugs! im sorry you're going through this too :( 

Do you know what you're triggers are? its okay if you don't, I still don't, but I've been told that's normally the best way to cope with flashbacks, knowing you're triggers and avoiding them.

What helps me is knowing when a flashback is coming on, to do this I wrote down in a diary what happens before and during them, like what I feel, any sensations in my body and so fourth. if you can tell when a flashback is coming on it's easier to get out of. some things that help me when I find those sensations coming on is I always carry popping candy as a way of grounding myself, that's the best thing that works for me, it helps me focus on all my senses at once. something else that helps me is I think in my friends voice just repeating over and over again 'you are safe, you are not in your past, name 5 things you can see'. these are the main things that help me (that and focusing on my breathing but I normally forget that one lol) hope you find some use out of them too :)

as for your therapy, could you tell them as soon as you go into the session that you want to work on the traumas? therapy is about you and getting you better so it's important to get off your chest what you need to, they should listen to you <3
    It's all the time to be honest @BubblesGoesBoo I never get a break from them and it's just exhausting mentally and physically trying to manage them :(
    "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" 
    Lyndon B.Johnson