Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I feel as though CBT is not helping me

NotYourBarbieGirlNotYourBarbieGirl Posts: 2 Newbie
edited April 2019 in Health & Wellbeing
I wrote a huge paragraph and it's disappeared due to rubbish internet.  :/ 

I'm not typing all of that again but I'll try to highlight some key points. 

I feel as though CBT is not helping me. I don't know if it's due to the therapist. I hate the constant tasks which are set. So repetitive. Which other talking therapies have helped you? 

I remember feeling depressed since I was in primary school. Probably year 5 or 6. My thoughts at the time was "I would be better off dead" "can't wait to die". 

Toxic and negative people everywhere. 

When I feel really sad, I start to comfort myself with food. How can I comfort myself without food? What works for you? 

I should never have been born. 

I know I'm loved. I know I make people happy. I know they enjoy spending time with me.

I feel as though something is missing in my life.

I don't know.

I just feel like disappearing. 

Just feel like restarting my life again. 

Religion is the only thing which stops me from suicide. Otherwise, I would have been dead ages ago. 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Hey, and it's great to have you here:)

Really sorry to hear this and how you're feeling <3

I haven't tried therapy myself, but I hope someone here has some experience and advice to share. Just in case it could help, here's a page on different types of talking therapies.

I have a bad habit with eating (but I do it due to tiredness rather than for comfort). It's so hard... I'm trying to break it right now - what I've found helps is to have a drink, whether that's just water or a hot chocolate or something. When I'm sad, I may listen to music and/or hide under a blanket.

I can relate to some of this and sympathise. It's really positive that religion stops you from suicide. Stay strong <3 And please come back here to talk some more about everything if you want to, 'cause that can help and we'll be listening.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited April 2019
    Heyy 

welcome!!

i am so sorry youre feeling so sad youd rather die:(. It really does take a lot of strength to keep going. So glad youre here and seeking supoort for yourself. <3. Youre not alone and i hope we can help. 

Sometimes it can take while to find right support so maybe is your therapist or the type of therapy. Could you ask to change thinngs? Idk many other therapies sorry but i have had CAT therapy - didnt work for me because i didnt like the therpist. But its worked for others. And that therapy is like CBT but CBT looks at behaviours/thought and CAT looks at why you could do those behaviours/ have those thoughts. (Thats my understanding tho i aint too sure)

When I feel really sad, I start to comfort myself with food. How can I comfort myself without food? What works for you? 
    I can comfort eat too but thats mostly because i restrict myself of food and gets into sarvation mode. So dont deprive yourself of food and eat when hungry.  But have found myself comfort eating when stressed and what have realise/learnt is that - once feel sad or stressed you can tend to striaght away think about food And end up binging. But really its okay to feel sad and let yourself feel those feelings, sit with those feelings ,  without wanting to quickly take your mind off using food or numbing your self with food. Can cope in different ways & Finding other ways to find pleasure. And also we tend to binge because of wanting some pleasure - but really, it takes 30 mins for our bodies to recongise we are full so basically what ive found is eating slowly - being mindful of every single taste/ texture and while doing this you get time to process you are getting full while eating slower. If makes sense. But also try to recongise your triggers so can manage it easier. 

Sorry my reply ended up being longer than thought ah 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley