Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Am I Depressed?

Hi Guys

So I'm new to this kind of thing (first post) but lately I've been taking note of all the times I feel anxious or on edge, and realised that actually, its all the time!

I never really realised the extent of my anxiety until now, I view myself normally as a very positive person, though this week its been very hard to just 'avoid'.

Ive started having new feelings, like someone is sitting on me, someone who doesn't want me to move or eat despite my normally healthy appetite. 

It's gotten to the point where maybe I need help? I'm always overthinking about issues of my childhood, and why I am the way that I am. But right now all I need is for something to lift this weight off of my chest.

Sincerely 
BirdMonkey 

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey BirdMonkey,

Welcome to The Mix 

It sounds like your going through a lot of stuff, do you have anyone in your life who you can talk to about things, somebody you trust. We are always here for you if you do want to talk more about things. 

It may be worth speaking to your gp about feeling anxious about things, they may be able to help.

Do keep posting if you feel able too and want to, we care about you :heart: 
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey there @BirdMonkey234 welcome to the boards!

Just to say that I've moved your thread from Introduce Yourself to Health & Wellbeing just to make sure you get the attention your problems need.

It sounds like you're dealing with a lot at the moment and it's understandable that you'd want to start looking for help. Have you considered booking an appointment to talk to your GP about all this? There are a lot of options they can give you for dealing with anxiety or even just to talk through what you're going through.

If you'd like I can also link you to some resources online that focus on coping with feelings of anxiety we even have some great articles here on The Mix all about that so just let me know!

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    Hey @BirdMonkey234 - great that you're reaching out for support, I often find just putting things into words helps to loosen the burden a little!

I echo what the others have said above. I know making that first appointment with your GP can seem really daunting, the prospect of them judging you is scary I know. But just remember they probably see 30 odd patients a day, 5 days a week. There only focus is to help you out in whatever way they can, they won't even remember what you've told them after a few days. And everything you say will be confidential. Hope this helps!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy. 

:(i think maybe you should see your gp, dont have to deal with that alone. Its great you have already started seeking help from here & Lots of us have been to our gp for our mental health if you have any questions about it. But if thats not what you feel comfortable doing atm we are all here supporting you & listening 

i hope things get a lil but easier for you soon
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • BirdMonkey234BirdMonkey234 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hey Guys!

Thank you for all your lovely comments and support, I have booked an appointment to see my GP and I am hopeful that I can get some help. It seems like talking HONESTLY about how I feel is a step in the right direction, I told my mum about my anxiety for the first time trying to hold it together and obviously she is very supportive. 

Do of you have any tips as to stop the anxiety whilst its happening? My appointment isn't for another week and the more I think about my condition the heavier my chest feels. 

BirdMonkey <3  
  • BirdMonkey234BirdMonkey234 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Riley said:
    If you'd like I can also link you to some resources online that focus on coping with feelings of anxiety we even have some great articles here on The Mix all about that so just let me know!

- Riley
    Yes please !
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    @BirdMonkey234 I'm glad to hear that you've made an appointment with your GP, hopefully they'll be able to help you out and give you some options going forward.

As for the online resources I mentioned there is a great organisation called Anxiety UK https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/ who have a ton of really useful information and resources about anxiety that you might find helpful, and there's even a text service and helpline if you feel you want to talk to someone about what you're dealing with.

There's also a bunch of articles on The Mix about this as I mentioned before but two that stand out are https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/what-is-anxiety-5598.html and https://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/help-me-with-my-anxiety-5601.html as these have some easy to understand information about what anxiety is and a few examples of coping techniques. Feel free to look through those if you want, there's even some links to other organisations like Anxiety UK at the bottoms of those articles.

I hope you find this stuff helpful. feel free to let me know if you want some more resources or even some info about any other problems you might be dealing with, I'm happy to help! :)

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • littlegemzlittlegemz Posts: 52 Boards Initiate
    I find listening to hypnotherapy helps....the calming words the relaxation and the breathing exercise. My friend goes to the gym every morning and batters the hell out of the boxing bag. I still need to get the motivation to join her but she swears being active helps. I prefer a long dog walk
  • ValerialettoValerialetto Posts: 87 Budding Regular
             Nice to meet you @BirdMonkey234, it's really good that you shared your feelings, it's already a big deal and good start to find out what's going on and find peace and balance in your soul)

You mentioned that you overthink about your issues from childhood...and I guess a lot of us from time to time  do that. Once I saw fantastic quote that really changed my attitude to this and I want to share it with you. " Everybody knows that all our difficulties and problems in life are the result of our issues in childhood, but as adults our thing is to realize it and make a decision to go further". For me it was real insight, like I admit that some bad thinks happened before but I can not let these issues spoil my whole life, so as an adult I make a decision to overcome. Maybe this idea can help you somehow either.
                   One more think I can offer you to try is breathing practices. Arrange some space for you, take your time to care about yourself, try to give all your love to yourself and relax doing deep inhales and exhales. I know that first time it can be a bit challenging cause there can be million thoughts in your mind. To distract from that it can be good to count while breathing. Try to close your eyes and focus on your breath, try to count 6 for inhale, 6 for holding breath and exhale for 6. Particular breath can really change your condition if you just work on it a little bit. 
    I really hope you feel better soon  <3