Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What should we do to mark Young Carers Day 2019?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited September 2019 in We Need You
Happy New Year all :)

So, young Carers Day 2019 is fast approaching us on the 31st of January, and the focus is on caring and mental health. Whether it is managing your own mental health, or supporting a loved one with theirs, we want to celebrate the amazing work that young carers do across the UK.

So what should we do on the community to celebrate this? It's completely up to you! This could be a carer themed chat, a workshop, an AMA or a series of threads on the boards, or something completely different. Let us know your ideas and we can start building up a plan of action :3

Ed 
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2019
    Oh Gosh Ed that’s a lot of choices 😂😂

Carer themed chat or an AMA sounds good - not a clue on Ideas around the Theme of mental health that will probs come to me at a different time 🤣

Post edited by Millie2787 on
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    @Millie2787 Yeah any of them would work. Personally just sitting and annoying a mod would be nice  ;) themed chat maybe, raising awareness so anyone who is interested in learning about carers or supporting them. Maybe even if you feel like one yourself and just want closure? Done to many of carers chats about whats a carer and what roles do they have to do on a daily bases they aren't fun anymore. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    @Millie2787 & @Abigail

Perhaps too much choice, ha! Interesting to hear of the types of chats that feel a bit tired. Is it more about having a space that helps people realise what it is like to be a carer, or realise that they may be a carer themselves that you think would be more productive? Or neither of those :lol:

Ed

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I think maybe the one about what it’s likee to be a Carer sounds better personally - as I’ve found not a lot of people consider the emotional side of caring 😊
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Also depends on what message the mix want to pass over as well ... of its the mental health affect it can half on a carer or mental health carers in general. In 1h30 you could cover both sides and with 2 darn good articles as well coming from either side if thats where you want to take it. I think the 'awareness days' are really about getting the word out about the theme and so what it says on the tin - not sure if you agree @Millie2787
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I don’t think a chat as not many can make them or wouldnt be interested in and then less people become aware and all that. Threads sound good
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks for sharing your ideas everyone!  Its all really helpful. 

A thread seemed to be the most popular option, so based on your feedback we were thinking of starting two threads. 

1. What its like being a young carer - where people can share their experiences and hopefully raise awareness of young carers. 

2. How to take care of yourself as a young carer - this way the whole community can get involved.  On Young Carers Day we can run a AMA on this thread with either a young carer expert or one of our counsellors can answer some questions.  

How does that all sound? 

-Italia 

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Yeah. Where did you mean the AMA questions would be- on this thread or? I have one question id really like to ask. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
This discussion has been closed.