Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried about breathing

AngawdAngawd Posts: 1 Just got here
Hi everyone, I’m new here and kinda anxious to post for the first time. I’m a young anxiety sufferer who experiences lots of symptoms, and just for the record I have no outstanding medical conditions.

I’m quite worried about my breathing at the moment. I am aware that shortness of breath is a symptom of anxiety and have had it many times, however tonight is particularly anxiety-inducing.
Over the past week or so I have been suffering with post nasal drip. I have recently started using a saline nasal spray, alongside drinking hot honey and lemon drinks. Sometimes though, when I cough or breathe in deeply I get a sharp pain in the right side of my body, around the area where my ribs are. For the past few hours, there has been pain in periodic bursts around that same right area, and I’m worried that somehow the mucus from my nasal drip has found its way into my lungs. After looking at a health site to determine more ways to heal the drip, I found out that if you lie on your back whilst asleep, the mucus can make its way past the ‘airway flap’ and into your lungs. I am a side sleeper, yet I am scared by the possibility that I could have rolled onto my back whilst asleep and the mucus has thus gotten into my lungs.

If my anxious thoughts are true, can mucus in the lung collapse it? Or would you instantly wake up from your sleep and cough the mucus out? I would really appreciate some reassurance. :)

Thanks so much in advance,
- Angawd

Comments

• AdamAdam Deactivated Posts: 25 Boards Initiate
    Hey @Angawd

Thank you for reaching out to us, it is such a brave thing of you to do! 

Sorry to hear that you are suffering from these symptoms caused by the anxiety. How long have these symptoms been occurring for? 

I can't provide great medical support but I can suggest that you contact your GP as they will be able to give you the accurate medical information for you :smile:

Alternatively you can visit NHS or BUPA. These accredited companies provide useful information related to health and advice which would include topics such as this one.

Hope this helps and wishing you well!

----------
    Adam
  • Lauren223Lauren223 Posts: 71 Budding Regular
    Hey @Angawd

Welcome to the Boards :)

Ditto what Adam has mentioned, you've done a really brave thing though by being so open about how you are feeling <3
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Angawd and welcome :) 
    If you have any concerns or questions just message the mix account or post over in help desk xo

I'm really sorry to hear you suffer from anxiety, it seems it revolves around your health?  Or is it moreso in general?

Echoing Adam and Lauren of course I can't give medical advice, but it doesn't sound likely. Especially as you are a side sleeper xo

I've been a post nasal drip suffer for years alongside my silent reflux and I'm fine :)

Haha exactly you tried anything to help?  Breathing exercises? Meditation? (headsapce is a good app) grounding is good for panic attacks.  a thing I like to do for my health anxiety is write the thing down,  what I think it is,  the symptoms. My symptoms. And then think of the more logical things it could be. our brains are good at jumping to conclusions :)

Have you talked to anyone about this or seeked support?   Maybe talk to your GP?  Xo

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld