Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worried about the national service coming back

Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
Hello I am having this extremely horrible worry about the national service which is a compulsory military service coming back in the UK in which I don't really want to happen or to come back at all as it will just make this world even more worse like it will risk even more lives and it will cause a lot of people to feel even more suicidal and cause them to suffer from severe mental health issues and psychological disorders especially when we are trying to save lives and to make this world and this country more better and also we all have human rights. I just want people to stop saying or calling for the national service to be brought back as it is really really scaring me and frightening me now as I just want the future and the world to be more better like for all of us including young people to have more and more rights and freedom to do what they want to and to be able to make their own choices with their own bodies and lives. I really need help to make me feel more better and for people to tell me some good news.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    The government has been going on about national service for years, but won't for the massive cost to the British taxpayer. Anyway, don't believe what the tabloid newspapers say. They've got nothing else better to report except sensationalist crapola, so no worries. Ok? :)
  • Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Ok Floxy thank you for the helpful reply.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    The national service very likely will not happen like floxy said, it would be massive cost to the taxpayers.

The newspapers are never good sources of information and will say what they want for money. 

The military, RAF,  and Navy have really high standards for medical conditions and health and they're not going to let that go unless we were in a huge war :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Sholay09 said:
    Ok Floxy thank you for the helpful reply.
    Hey @Sholay09

You could save yourself a lot of anxiety if you learn critical thinking. Why? Because it's a highly important skill, especially today. I'd drop some crazy things on you, but it's honestly best you find out yourself and use reason to determine it. Always ask questions, even when people won't give you an answer. Then ask why they won't!

The media, be it television or newspapers is a popular culture trying to teach us to accept at face value what they tell us, but often it's distorted and false when you question why and start digging around. That is why my historian Aunt taught my ex, my adopted sisters and me to question everything - even social media.

I know you suffer anxiety badly, but we all do to a greater or lesser degree including myself. But last week I wrote this article -

...and I recommend you read it (unless you already have) - print it off it you like, so whenever you need some self-help return to it.

By the way, was your social group a success? I remember you mentioned wanting to start up a forum for the lonely/singles and I often wondered. Good luck if you're still doing it!  :)

• Sholay09Sholay09 Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Ok thank you Aidan for being helpful but I hope that all other countries will finally eventually abolish which I mean get rid of the national service for good in the future as it violates human rights and it risks lives too. Also everyone of all ages should be allowed to make their own choices as well as that is what should happen in the future
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Despite the 'positives' military conscription is essentially an infringement on freedom. Thankfully National Service isn't anywhere close to making a return in the UK, so no need to worry for now.

Weekender Offender 
    Aidan said:
    Most conscript countries, unlike Switzerland, don't get to vote on whether they want it, and that really is against freedom and democracy.
    All conscription is an infringement on freedom. Forced employment is a form of slavery.
    Weekender Offender 
    Involuntary servitude is slavery whether it be for a household, business or for a government.
    And remuneration has nothing to do with it - historically many slaves were paid.

You can argue semantics, but forcing people to fight and put their lives on the line in wars instigated by rich people sure sounds like slavery to me.
    Weekender Offender