Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BBC News: Quarter of 14-year-old girls in UK 'self-harm'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
Quoting Alex Therrien,
Health reporter for BBC News, 'Nearly a quarter of 14-year-old girls in the UK said they had self-harmed, a report suggests.

A survey of 11,000 children found 22% of the girls and 9% of the boys said they had hurt themselves on purpose in the year prior to the questionnaire.'

Comments

• EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    When I was in school we never had any education on mental health, any instances where almost hushed up and teachers didn't want us talking about it. I think encouraging schools to have classes about mental health and encouraging students to seek help if they are facing any issues would benefit everyone.

At uni we can just go into a drop-in centre and they are very encouraging and friendly. If high schools had a similar thing, even in the town not even at the school, then I think some students would be able to find the help they need. 

Unfortunately in my school it became a kind of trend. I hated it, my sister suffered so much and everyone around me thought it was 'cool'. This group prevented others with real problems from coming forward as no one would believe them, it would just be assumed they were trying to be 'cool' too. I really hope thats not the case anymore. 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Floxy thanks for sharing!
    This is definitely worrying figures, 
    I definitely agree males tend to under report their mental health, 
    I wonder if there could be more but they didn't take the survey? Males tend to hide self harm and if they're struggling more.

It does beg the question what young people today have to worry about in schools and what we can do definitely.

From being on forums like childline and working closely with a charity I can Sadly report we're seeing increased numbers of girls reporting suffering from sexual bullying, assault, and even rape. 
    Girls have been subject to same sex based bullying, the classic "you don't wear makeup" "you wear too much" "you're fat" ect. 
    Exam stress is another biggy, school is too much for some it's full of work that just keeps getting piled on them and it's where they're most hated. 
    And mental health issues.
    There is not enough support out there for the various things people are struggling with.

Better sexual education and more mental health support is two simple changes that can help significantly.

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hey @Laine and @Aiden and @Eyepatch

I was horrified reading that BBC News report. The report also made me question why parents are seemingly not aware that perhaps their child is one of those who are self-injuring. Having been snared in SH many months ago did make me secretive, for self-injuring is a very private thing among suffers. Nevertheless, parents are unaware unless a sibling brings it to their attention which is what happened to me.

The BBC News report is now going to bring more awareness to parents that children, perhaps even their's, could be self-injuring. Whether it's exam stress, bullying, peer pressure or unhappy families that young ones are feeling strained, also being expected to achieve higher school results in their learning.

I wonder if school nurses are aware that self-injuring is on the increase? As I was schooled at home, I wonder how do teachers approach a student they think is self-harming and what procedures are in place?

• Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.