Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

So lonely

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
Before college closed for summer, Sophie and I returned to England to receive our diplomas. Me for advanced upholstery and she for her diploma in advanced jewellery design from a top jewellery school. Sophie completed a special course in silver smithing and like me, had made friends during her training. Our friends were lovely people who enjoyed hanging out with us and their parents were very nice, too. Since last year throughout the seasons we'd swapped emails with our friends and kept in touch in phoning. All seemed rosy, and we never argued or had differencies of opinion. There again, none of our friends ever came to see us.

To mark the end of college and our courses, our aunts put on a big party with a marquee, a nice band of guitars, bass and soft percussion. Our aunts got caterers in to make super lovely food for the occasion. Fabulous!

They collected our friends from their homes and drove them straight to the party where our families from France and Spain gathered. I travelled with one of my aunts. She had a Rolls Royce Mulsanne. When we met my friends, they went unusually quiet. All through the drive home, they stayed quiet despite my trying to make conversation. I texted Soph who was with our other aunt, and she said the same. Oh dear, was it our aunts' posh cars? I wouldn't have thought so, but one could hardly have hired a small coach and collected them, but nevermind, our friends will be sure to have a good time once they arrive.

As my aunt tried to make conversation, my friends seemed struck dumb apart from cooing at the sight of the house as we entered the drive, but they definitely went silent at the arrray of high end cars parked on the forecourt. Maybachs, a Bentley Continental, a pair of Porsches, Ferraris and other luxury cars, all belonging to family.

After the party our guests were driven home. They were polite and good company and thanked my aunts, but the following week one sent me a letter. It was more than a thank-you letter. In it was written an apology. The writer said she and her friends realised that they were way out of my league and that of my family's, and from that day Soph and I never saw them again.

We moved to Mallorca where our family have full residential rights. Even after Brexit we will remain. But the same situation happened. We meet people and befriend them. They come to see us and admire my paintings and Soph, her fine jewellery that she sells if anyone wants. But they never remain friends. Those who do, however, belong to the yachting set. They acquaint themselves to our aunts all right, but I suspect they are only 'fair weather friends' which makes me hide any wine under my bed.  ;)  My guess is the day your luck runs out, they'll piss off.

And this is why I cherish making online friends. Though I may never meet them, at least I have their friendship. But I guess the price of belonging to a wealthy family has an ultimate price. It's called loneliness. But at least Soph and I have each other.

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    You two will always have each other and the support of this community :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Laine said:
    You two will always have each other and the support of this community :)
    Thank you @Laine :)  This has been a wonderful support so far. I'd visit chats, but presently I'm finding talking quite exhausting. But loneliness hurts.
  • JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Hello @Floxy,

It's me, JamJar, again! Hope you had a nice holiday last week - it is always good to refresh the batteries and give yourself some space away from technology and the internet. 

The situation you and Sophie find yourselves in is tricky, and feels like something that should be fixable with a fresh setting. However, as you pointed out, money can be a bit of a universal divider. Money speaks all languages in that sense. 

The frustration I hear coming from you is that, naturally, you would like people to judge you by your personality - not by your family background. What's great about The Mix is that this is a platform without prejudice, where everyone respects people for what they say. 

One question I have though is how you and Sophie feel about trying to build new friendships in the future? Yes things may feel lonely now, but there will be people who will judge you for you. The fact that people like Laine have already responded to your post shows that :) 

If you do feel like you're missing someone to talk to in the future, remember the Mix is always here with people who care. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    JamJar said:
    Hello @Floxy,

It's me, JamJar, again! Hope you had a nice holiday last week - it is always good to refresh the batteries and give yourself some space away from technology and the internet. 

The situation you and Sophie find yourselves in is tricky, and feels like something that should be fixable with a fresh setting. However, as you pointed out, money can be a bit of a universal divider. Money speaks all languages in that sense. 

The frustration I hear coming from you is that, naturally, you would like people to judge you by your personality - not by your family background. What's great about The Mix is that this is a platform without prejudice, where everyone respects people for what they say. 

One question I have though is how you and Sophie feel about trying to build new friendships in the future? Yes things may feel lonely now, but there will be people who will judge you for you. The fact that people like Laine have already responded to your post shows that :) 

If you do feel like you're missing someone to talk to in the future, remember the Mix is always here with people who care. 
    Hi @JamJar thank you for dropping by!  :)

Answering your question of how Sophie and I feel about trying to build new friendships in the future, this may become a lot easier since recently her correct age of 16 was ratified in a court of law. Making friends when she was much younger had been difficult. Sophie has always been intellectually more mature. She's a great conversationalist and has made friends with a number of people. Alas, all have  been tourists and when they finish their holiday and go home, promises to stay in contact never happened.

We live in a tourist resort. During daytime it's easy making friends or sitting at a cafe talking to people who are friendly and chatty by nature and being relaxed and unwound during their holiday. But then they get up and go and say goodbye, by which time my energy from chatting has got up and gone. :joy:

And sure, it was lovely that Laine said 'will always have each other and the support of this community'. Indeed, Soph and I will always be together. We love each other so much that it would be unthinkable to be apart.

Maybe when we get older, the dynamics of making friends will change? We will always have our family visit bringing their children. And that's always fun. :)

Yeah, it's always nice logging in and having a chat with people.