Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Obsession

So im not really sure how to put it but i get really obsessed with things. These things can be literally anything like tv shows, movies, people or games. Right now my obsession is with the game Detroit become human. I have got so obsessed that i start to do makeup to look like the characters and even started walking like them. I know its weird and idk why i do it. There isn't a time where im not obsessed with something. I will watch movies over and over until I know the words. Then i will move on to something new. Sometimes i will go back to old obsessions and begin that obsession again. Idk what it is. Someone said it might be OCD but im not sure. Well thanks for reading anyway. Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Heya, Welcome to the Mix

Being passionate is a wonderful thing, have you thought about making youtube tutorials for your make up? With Detroit being such a popular game right now I think they would be great. You could also check out conventions like MCM in London, where you can go with friends and meet others who are just as passionate to talk to, this could help you feel less worried about your obsessions. 

OCD can come in a variety of forms, if your obsessions ever effect your live negatively then you should book an appointment to help. Obsessions about TV or Games could cause people to spend huge amounts of money on items related to what they are obsessing about, this could cause problems later when it comes to buying things they actually need. Check your budget before buying any Items or add them to a Christmas list so that you can think about them for a while and decide if you really need those items or not. OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Compulsive meaning you have little or no impulse control over your obsession. Its perfectly fine to love a game or TV show, but if you feel compelled to play it even though you know you have a test to study for, or you are supposed to be meeting someone, then it might be something you want to speak to a mental heath professional about. Especially if your compulsions effect your life in a negative way over a long period of time. By the sounds of your post you don't have OCD but you can always go to a professional if you need more information. ODC is often misunderstood and so people sometimes use the term incorrectly. Just as some people say they are feeling depressed, this doesn't always mean they have depression. You can obsess over something and not have OCD.

As for walking like the characters, I actually sometimes do that too, or copy their accents when Im alone. Its acting! Perhaps you should look for some local theatre groups so you can use this passion with others for fun. If you do act like a character in public you may get some strange responses from others that could upset you, but you may also get some people who recognise the character. As long as you are safe and don't hurt anyone then it can be great fun. At MCM loads of people act like in a similar way to the characters they are dressed up as and its great to see so many passionate fans.

I hope this clears up a few things, feel free to respond if you have any questions or worries :)

( p.s Connor is best character :P ) 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Options
    lollypop6589lollypop6589 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hey. Thankyou so much for this. Idk how to properly reply I’m not very good at stuff like this lol. You’ve helped me a lot so thankyou ❤️❤️
    Heya, Welcome to the Mix

Being passionate is a wonderful thing, have you thought about making youtube tutorials for your make up? With Detroit being such a popular game right now I think they would be great. You could also check out conventions like MCM in London, where you can go with friends and meet others who are just as passionate to talk to, this could help you feel less worried about your obsessions. 

OCD can come in a variety of forms, if your obsessions ever effect your live negatively then you should book an appointment to help. Obsessions about TV or Games could cause people to spend huge amounts of money on items related to what they are obsessing about, this could cause problems later when it comes to buying things they actually need. Check your budget before buying any Items or add them to a Christmas list so that you can think about them for a while and decide if you really need those items or not. OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Compulsive meaning you have little or no impulse control over your obsession. Its perfectly fine to love a game or TV show, but if you feel compelled to play it even though you know you have a test to study for, or you are supposed to be meeting someone, then it might be something you want to speak to a mental heath professional about. Especially if your compulsions effect your life in a negative way over a long period of time. By the sounds of your post you don't have OCD but you can always go to a professional if you need more information. ODC is often misunderstood and so people sometimes use the term incorrectly. Just as some people say they are feeling depressed, this doesn't always mean they have depression. You can obsess over something and not have OCD.

As for walking like the characters, I actually sometimes do that too, or copy their accents when Im alone. Its acting! Perhaps you should look for some local theatre groups so you can use this passion with others for fun. If you do act like a character in public you may get some strange responses from others that could upset you, but you may also get some people who recognise the character. As long as you are safe and don't hurt anyone then it can be great fun. At MCM loads of people act like in a similar way to the characters they are dressed up as and its great to see so many passionate fans.

I hope this clears up a few things, feel free to respond if you have any questions or worries :)

( p.s Connor is best character :P ) 

• Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    No worries :) 
    There are plenty of Apps and blogs where you can share your passion for different fandoms with others who like them too.
    Plus we are here, and Im always up for a chat about Detroit ;P 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."