Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The police

LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
I took a small od the other day. I have absconed from A&E 3 times and was finally discharged this morning. The thing is I have a massive bruise on my arm from where the police dragged me out of the house. They said they'de use reasonable force but that wasent reasonable. Can I sue?

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    No. 

The police are just there to keep everyone safe and if did hurt you it was with their best intentions

every police man/ woman i have meet are so so lovely
    Why would you want to sue the people who are trying to make the community a better and safer place?

they have hurt me a few times but their main priority is to keep everyone safe. 

Sorry you overdosed though. Hope youre feeling bit better now
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey LostSense, 

How are you doing? I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened recently. Were you discharged back home? You could file a complaint if you feel that the police used more than reasonable force. I bruise quite easily and I've had similar experiances to you and not only is it painful, but also quite traumatic, so if you wanted to talk about how you feel about what you've experianced, we are here for you. 

Would you like to talk to us a bit about why you overdosed, or feeling behind it? Did you get seen by mental health team while you were in hospital? 

Keep talking to us, 

Best wishes, 
    Aurora
  • LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hi Aurora

I'm doing okay thanks. Still feel a bit drowsy but my cpn said it will take a few days for the tablets to get out of my system. Yes, I was discharged back home. Yeah I definetly think the police used more than reasonable force. I dont bruise easily but they have deffinetly left a massive bruise on my arm. Also I think they done something to my leg because they pulled me down the stairs! And my leg really hurts. Your right it was traumatic.

Yeah I saw someone from the RAID team I only chatted to him for 5mins though as I wanted to go home so we didnt say much. I overdosed because I had been on holiday for a week last week and It just put things into perspective. I just kept looking at everyone and the world and realised that I didnt want to be in it so this overdose was a plan but obviously I wanted to take more. Plus, all the traumatic stuff I've been through like being raped and bullied thats why I want to kill myself. My mum however thinks I want to kill myself because she had to go back to work after 1 day of being back of Holiday and because she told her partner that me and my sister dont do anything around the house but then she asked me to do the vaccuming and put some washing out so then I didnt want to do those things because that is me doing things :/ so she thinks she upset me so thats why I want to kill myself she's blaming my mental health and says its a BPD thing but thats a load of bullshit. I dont want to kill myself because she asked me to do some jobs..that would be a bit silly, wouldnt it!

Thankyou for posting to me!
    This is the bruise they left me (ps sorry about the few scars).
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    edited July 2018
    Heya,

Check out the police against orgainise crime act, and the police and criminal evidence act, they list in detail the rights you have when it comes to arrest/ taking someone into custody and police using force. I hope they are relevent to your case. If you think they might be speak to a doctor about the bruise and your leg, see if you can get them to write down and sign to confirm any  damage, also list how it is effecting your life and if you can find evidence of that. This would include things like you are working slower and therefore getting less done, or using stairs is now difficult. 

I'm not sure a case like yours would go through to trial, because you overdosed and this can effect how police are allowed to act when taking someone into custody.

Remember that if you sue and loose you will have to pay a lot in fees for lawyers and such. So make sure you are absolutely certain you can win before moving forward. You might want to speak with a lawyer about the case, but an appointment with one will also cost you. 

I hope this is helpful for you, take care of yourself. I hope you are feeling better. Please remember that sueing is a very stressful procedure and that perhaps it's worth dealing with a few bruises rather than putting yourself under so much stress.

Take care.
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,493 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2018
    They could of left you more than with a bruise and could of left you dead from the overdose. If you wasnt co orportating and was leaving a&e then theres no way you can sue. (Sorry if dont sound very sypathatic.Im just answrring your question) as im glad you ended up getting treatment from A&E

But understand maybe tramuatic so could try with a complaint or something

How are you feeling today? Hope youre okay
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    Thanks Eyepatch!

Yeah I'll look into it. Thankyou. I'm definetly going to complain the way they handled me is totally wrong. And my support worker said that men shouldnt be touching girls, I duno how true that is.

I went to the drs and he saw all my bruises, gave me some co-codomol and sending me for an x-ray. I'll get him to write it all down aswell.
    I would of perferred if they would of left me dead