Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Will religion always matter in a relationship?

indoubtmanindoubtman Posts: 1 Just got here

Through an international dating blog, I met a girl who brought life into my dull world. We were both happy with each other. Then we met and decided to introduce each other to our families. After that, my girlfriend became cold and broke up with me. Ladies are really hard to figure out. I was devastated because I really can’t take the idea of my girlfriend dumping me because of my religion. I don’t understand why. She said she can’t be with someone like me. I was left out puzzled. For quite a long time, I have been thinking if religion really matters. Does that affect a relationship? I mean, isn’t it love that all matters?

Comments

• Candlestick56Candlestick56 Posts: 90 Budding Regular
    Hey @indoubtman,

Sorry to hear that. It must have really hurt that she made that decision when you were happy together and it was going so well.

Personally, I think love is the most important thing but other factors are important too, and the truth is that they can make or break a relationship. Even if you love someone, sometimes it's just not possible to make things work if they live far away from you, or if they don't share the same values or want the same things from their life. It just puts too much pressure on the relationship. Everyone has things they're willing to compromise on and if she knows religion is something she can't compromise on, then it's probably better that she ended things before they got too serious. Unfortunately in reality, it's never as simple as "we love each other so we can make it work". Love is complicated, it takes effort and dedication, you have to be willing to compromise and fight through hardships. But it doesn't work is only one person is willing.
  • peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
    Hi indoubtman,

I'm really sorry to read about your situation. I can understand how you must feel devastated when you felt so happy together, just for it all to suddenly end because of differences.

I agree with what candlesticks56 has said fully: there are many factors that play into a relationship, and whether it ends up being successful. Religion may be one of these factors for some people, especially if they have particularly strong views. Compromise is important in a relationship, and it allows both of you to learn to grow as individuals. But sometimes there are certain things that people can't be willing to make compromises with, for example, religion. I love and completely agree with candlesicks56 when they said "Unfortunately in reality, it's never as simple as "we love each other so we can make it work". Love is complicated, it takes effort and dedication, you have to be willing to compromise and fight through hardships. But it doesn't work is only one person is willing.". Perhaps it was for the best that things ended now rather than later, when you may feel even more strongly.

That said, I don't think religion is always an issue in relationships, though it certainly can affect a relationship. It's a personal view, and naturally the importance of this will vary from person to person. Love may be the defining factor in a relationship, but it's not the only one that exists. If it's meant to be, ultimately, religion won't be an issue. Please try your best not to feel too disheartened by this experience, I'm very sure you can and will meet someone with whom you mutually respect each others' views, whether or not you share the same religion.

-peachysoo
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit

Depends on the person. 

Sorry about your experence though
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley