Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

CAMHS

Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
Hi Alll,

Really quickly, but I have a CAMHS appointment tomorrow with my Phychaitrst who I have been under for like 4 years now because of depression including self-harm and suicidal thoughts, and anxiety.

Lately, I have been finding she has just been dismissing me, I could say anything and whatever I say at all she will turn round and say "you' are doing well".... This has been the appointments since September. She seems me every 3 months meant to be every 2 months. I feel like she's pulling a 'fast one' with me. I just don't understand what to do to get her to understand, that I have been struggling!.

I have tried writing thigs down.but not much use.... I'm scared it going to be the same story tomorrow...... My anxiety and depression is effecting me at uni and at home!

Anyone got any advice, or can relate...

Thanks

In_me

Comments

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi Invisible_me

It sounds like the tone of your appointments have changed since September? I think for me, if a psych was being dismissive it might make me more reluctant to share than I usually would, so starting a bit of a visious cycle. Do you feel like anything's changed in the way that you are sharing with her? To be honest it might just be that the tone has changed and therefore she thinks you're getting better/'doing well' but is misunderstanding you.

If you feel like you can, you could try talking to her about it - say you feel like you aren't getting as much out of the appointments anymore or feel like she's not understanding you if she starts being dismissive? What do you think?

Good luck tomorrow :heart:

- Lucy :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    I can relate to health professionals being dismissive. I normally just tell them how it is. And just be completely honest that they’re not understanding me at all and if they was to tell me things like “you’re doing so well” I would just tell them they clearly ain’t listening (in the nicest way possible). But I know that can be sometimes harder than it sounds. But the time is yours to use and you’re the patient, so say what thinks may be helpful to get the best outa the appointments😊 I regret it when I am not completely honest or say what I think.

good luck for tomorrow. I hope goes as well as it can. Let us know how it goes if you’d like
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Lucy307[/USER] and [USER="96903"]Shaunie ,

Thanks for your messages- they were helpful and did see before the appointment.

​Yeah, so it didn't too great, I struggled to tell her much but did tell her the high level to which things can get to. It was the same story- "she acknowledges it's there, but at the same time she says i'm doing well"- Slightly confused! I just felt like she didn't and doesn't realise the level at which things can get to and sometimes I can struggle to find my words.

​I saw the GP today at a 'club' she was doing, and it was so embarrassing- my anxiety was really high and just burst out in front of her I told her about the appointment and that. But yeah... THat was embarrassing.

Thanks,
    ​In_me
  • PuffinEthicsPuffinEthics Posts: 74 Budding Regular
    Hi @Invisible_me

I'm sorry to hear it didn't go as you'd hoped. Try not to feel bad about not getting it across as you wanted to, feelings are extremely hard to articulate, especially when there feels like there is a lot riding on the words.

Perhaps despite how difficult it is for you, you are actually doing well to manage it? Do you think that could be the case?
    It sounds like your having a hard time but you are doing positive things like seeing Psychiatrist, and your GP, your taking active steps to get were you need to be, and that is something that should be acknowledge.

Is it more that you feel like she just isn't hearing how difficult it is for you?
    Could you try writing things down when they feel at the high level in the moment, so you capture how you feel in that moment, and then show that to her in the appointment? If your anything like me, you'll find it difficult to explain how you feel after its actually happened, maybe?

Try not to worry about telling your GP about it, I'd want to tell mine if I saw her!

Thanks,

PuffinEthics:rainbow:
  • Invisible_meInvisible_me Posts: 138 The Mix Convert
    Hi @PuffinEthics

Thanks for your reply.

I guess so sometimes it can be hard to actually talk about what's going on and putting into words into the correct way.

I have tried writing things down for her as well but I have found even with that she can be dismissive of things.

I guess I'm doing things but I just feel as if that is not getting anywhere which Is why I'm then going back and. It goes round and round like that.

That is a good idea- trying to capture it in the moment. Yes I can find it hard to describe the bad times when I'm not in that bad time. And whenever I try to do so I feel like "I'm faking it, ".... At the same time sometimes it can be hard to like wrute down things when you are feeling not with it.

It's OK me telling The GP but Im Embarrassed about bursting out in tears in front of her. I mean she is super nice but just the thought.

Thank you.
    In-me