Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Im curious about how to get birth controll

So In my recent post I’ve talked about using contraceptives and my boyfriend has condoms but I’m still scared there’s a chance I might get pregnant. I was wondering how to get birth controll or any other contraceptives without my parents knowing. I also wanted to know the side effects and the cost range of them.

Comments

• Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hey @Katielacky16,

There's a great article with all the different methods here: https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexandyoungpeople/Pages/Gettingcontraception.aspx

It's good to consider all your options :) personally I've tried condoms, the pill and the implant, all of which are good and have different positives & negatives! Let me know if you have any questions about any of those?

I initially spoke to my GP about getting contraception but have also been to a sexual health clinic for this. Clinics are not as scary as they sound, I actually prefer these to GPs as the people there are knowledgeable and seem to enjoy what they do, they're really friendly and have your best interests at heart. Your parents don't need to come with or know about any of it if you don't want them to. Oh and most contraception methods are free if you go to GP/clinic, by the way! :d

Hope that might help a little, but I'm here if you have any more questions.

- Lucy :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,305 Part of The Furniture
    Lucy307 wrote: »
    Hey @Katielacky16,I initially spoke to my GP about getting contraception but have also been to a sexual health clinic for this. Clinics are not as scary as they sound, I actually prefer these to GPs as the people there are knowledgeable and seem to enjoy what they do, they're really friendly and have your best interests at heart. Your parents don't need to come with or know about any of it if you don't want them to. Oh and most contraception methods are free if you go to GP/clinic, by the way! :d

:yes:

In terms of your parents not knowing, another option is buying contraception online. Most places will post their products in discrete packaging, so assuming your parents don't open your post, that might be something to explore. The obvious downside to this is that it's not free like @Lucy307 was saying, but I guess it depends what your priorities are.

Another thing to note is that a lot of professionals will recommend using two forms of contraception (for example, condoms + the pill) just to be safe if one of them fails, though that's personal choice. It might also help give you some peace of mind if that's something you're particularly worried about.

In any case, it's great you're thinking about this - always good to be safe and do your research!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.