Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Starting the gym

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
I can't believe i am even saying this but i have my gym induction on Tuesday. I have been to the gym a couple of times previously but that was over 4 years ago. I stopped going back then because i felt so out of place and it felt like everyone were looking at me. Does anyone have any tips for gym newbie or simply any supportive messages?
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Options
    RayofhopeRayofhope Posts: 152 Helping Hand
    Hi Jacob,

Its great that you are going to the gym and you feel that its something which you want to try again after a long time. Gyms can feel like everyone it being looked at so many when you have your induction ask what times it is less busy and try and aim to go at those times.

Good Luck
    Rayofhope:rainbow2:
    Life doesn’t require we be the best, only that we try our best
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @Jacob101,

Brilliant news that you've signed up to a gym, I find going to mine really clears my head. Totally get what you mean about feeling everyone is looking at you - it's one of those places! Your induction should help, but my technique is that I'll put headphones in from the moment I leave the changing room and have my best playlist on. I feel like I can then zone out from everyone and everything else and focus on what I'm doing.

Good luck!

- Lucy :heart:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    Hey Jacob!

That's brilliant!!! YOU CAN DO THISSSS!

I find the hardest bit is actually getting to the gym (I do a regular class though so I guess that helps with motivation). Once you get yourself there it's an amazing place!! Now 6 months ago I never thought I would ever say that!!

Good luck,

Eleanor
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    UPDATE: I aced the gym and i love it so much, my personal instructor is so lovely :)
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,630 Legendary Poster
    Aww that's great😊
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    I'm glad it's working well for you, Jacob. :)
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    I’m thinking about starting a gym too, I suppose you just have to remember everyone was a beginner once.

Glad you are enjoying it so far
  • Options
    NikkiNikki Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    Hi Jacob,
    It's brilliant that you're going to the gym and loving it! I started a few months ago, and it's had such a positive impact on my wellbeing- hope it works out for you too. I would say having a regular gym routine helps, - even just walking on the treadmill for 15-20 mins - and most of all, to enjoy it!
    Good luck!
    Nikki x
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    nish215nish215 Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    Hi Jacob,

It's great to hear you stepped out of your comfort zone and went to the gym, you should feel very proud of yourself! Remember everyone at the gym is focused on themselves and so you shouldn't feel out of place or that everyone is looking at you. :)
  • Options
    thehighlanderthehighlander Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi Jacob, First of all well done! Delighted for you and you should be so proud. Perhaps when you go into the gym you can always ask for some help to settle in. Keep up the good work and again a massive well done.

Have a great weekend.