Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I don't know what's happening

danganyanxdanganyanx Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
I don't really know how to phrase this, but there is a little voice in my head that keeps telling me to harm or kill myself.
It's like...I can be having really good fun, or I can be with my lover, or even when nothing is happening, but it will come along and make me do these things.
By make...I mean I have no idea what is happening until it's happened. Like yesterday. I was minding my own business and then it started.
I don't want to die. Nor have I ever wanted to do so. And I don't know what's happening, and it's scary.

Comments

• Options
    RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    Hey @danganyanx it sounds like your having quite a tough time.

Id advice you to go to the GP and tell them the problems you are having.

Id also say to read on this topic on the NHS - I'm no doctor so can't say exactly what you have, as mental health is a tricky thing, but could help to read up on a few things:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/psychosis/

Having non-specified psychosis myself, I understand how scary these sorts of things can be.

But getting advice and treatment early could really save alot of pain and discomfort.

I'm not saying it will be a quick and easy path, if the doctors go down a medication route, it could take a while to find what works. Though they could also go down a therapy route or both.

We also have a article on hearing voice on our site, which you can checkout below:
    http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/anxiety-ocd-and-phobias/help-im-hearing-voices-25683.html

if you are feeling suicidal or like you want to hurt yourself, you could try contacting Samaritans, they offer help, from what I understand, 24/7.
    The link is here:
    https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you/contact-us

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • Options
    Thank you...I'm sick of this, the voice has named herself and I just want to be free
  • Options
    RhysRhys Posts: 288 The Mix Regular
    The start of things can be very scar, infact it can be scary at a lot of times.

I've personally been dealing with voices and such for 6 or 7 years now, It has improved a lot though sometimes I do suffer from a relapse.

If you feel you're in real danger of hurting yourself or others, then phoning 999 or 101 (depending on how bad you feel things are) or going to your closes A&E could be an option, though depending on how busy your nearest A&E or hospital is, and the time of day, it could take a while to get seen by a psychiatric doctor.
    Again, I don't work in a hospital, and things are different all over the country, this is on personal experience.

If you have a family member you trust or a good friend, you could try and talk to them about it, sometimes having support really helps, theres a bit Id like to quote from our article here:
    [h=2]I’m scared to tell other people[/h] Everyone worries about being judged or misunderstood and after dealing with the effects of hearing voices, many people avoid telling friends and family out of fear. Though it seems like a huge step, you deserve to have the support of someone you love at this time in your life.
    “It’s always up to you what you share with them, and how much you share, so it might be helpful to write some stuff down that you’d like them to know about, or what you’d like the next step to be, in case you find it difficult to talk,” says Eve.
    If you’re not sure who you can talk to contact Voice Collective on info@voicecollective.co.uk or call Childline on 0800 1111.

Theres also another article id like to link and thats about relapse, since they can be a very scary thing on their own
    http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/mental-health-treatments/is-it-ok-to-have-a-mental-health-relapse-26352.html
    Id also like a quote something from the above article, something I didn't personally learn till around a year ago.
    [h=2]Is it normal to have a relapse? Doesn’t it mean I’ve failed and have to start again?[/h] No. Nope. Nooooope. Relapses are not equated to failure, y’hear? They’re a completely normal and common part of the recovery process.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • Options
    Thank you so much...I'm so thankful for all of this, I just want her gone
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Hey @danganyanx,

I just wanted to check in and ask how you're feeling today?

You mentioned that you're hearing a voice that's telling you quite powerful things to do. It sounds like you're feeling quite scared about this voice at the moment. How long have you been hearing it for?

Like Rhys mentioned above, reaching out to your GP can be a great thing to do so you can get some professional support. We're also here to support you too and help talks things through.

You mentioned that the voice will come along anytime, do you notice any situations where it talks to you more often than usual?

Rhys also linked you to the article on The Mix website about hearing voices, I hope you find that useful. There's some really good tips in there that might be able to help you. One of the things the article mentions is challenging the voice and saying no back to it. Do you feel you have much power over it?

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    Hi there 🖐

I hear voices too and have visions. What helps drown them out and I have heard from other people to this helps them aswell is using earphones put some music on but for me its got to be pretty loud music.

Also medication, are you on medication? Sometimes this is only issued from a psychiatrist if is is affecting your day to day life significantly.

And I am going to a HVG on Thursday its an eight week course. My crisis worker found my local group on the Hearing voices network. You could have a look to see if one is local to you, if this is something you might be interested in.

https://www.hearing-voices.org

I also email Voice collectice they can offer email support up to 25's anywhere in the UK.

http://www.voicecollective.co.uk

Sometimes talking back to them can feel scary but it helps to make you feel in control. Maybe some CBT techniques will help. Things I have been told in the past is like imaggining a big red cross and saying No to them or shutting a blind/curtians on them ect.

You say the voice has named her self? My crisis worker looked into my eyes the other week and she said to me "what are there names" and I completley shut down and just said to her I cant now because they were watching me.

Mine are rather severe so I have to take medication. Some people dont need medication though, like I said it depends how much they affect your day to day life.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps. You can always message me if you want to 🙂
  • Options
    I don't know how to mention people, ahhhhh...
    I've been hearing Echo for around two or three years now, she just comes along randomly and starts saying these things, and she doesn't listen until she gets her way...
    I did try to talk to her once, that's how I know her name, but she isn't very pleasant to me.
    As for medication, I don't take any that would usually affect it.
  • Options
    Hey @danganyanx,

To mention people in your posts you can just type this symbol @ followed by their boards name and it should come up with a list of names you can click on for it to mention in your post.

It sounds like you've been hearing Echo for quite some time now and that she's has quite a bit of power. Did anything happen in your life when you started to hear her?

It can be really challenging talking back to the voice you hear. How would you feel trying to speak to her again and challenging her by saying no to some of the things she's saying to you?

In the article I linked above on The Mix website about hearing voices, there's some coping techniques that I was wondering if you've tried any of them before? I've listed them below:
    There are a variety of coping techniques you can try if your voices or visions are becoming too distressing. Always speak to your doctor if you feel unable to cope or contact Childline.
    To cope try techniques such as:
    • Challenging the voices or saying no to them
    • Creating a profile of the voice, such as its gender, age or what triggers make it appear
    • Writing down how you’re feeling in a diary or expressing your feelings in artwork
    • Distracting yourself from the voices by wearing earplugs, singing or even watching TV
    • Using a grounding technique like focusing on your feet or counting your breaths
    • Keep your favourite object with you, such as a picture or toy

All the best,

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • Options
    @Aife hello~

My first memory of Echo is probably when my dad told us his new wife was pregnant, and Echo told me that it was my fault because Dad didn't live me
    I have done my best to talk to her, I just know she's called Echo and she likes flowers a lot. Saying no to her makes her angry, and she starts screaming, and it hurts my head...
  • Options
    Hey @danganyanx

That's interesting to hear about your first memory of Echo, thank you for sharing that with us. I'm sorry to hear that she told you that it was your fault. How do you feel about your Dad and his new wife?

It sounds quite challenging talking back to her at times and saying no. Do you find distracting yourself helps her go away sometimes?

How would you feel reaching out to a GP for further support with what you're experiencing with Echo?

All the best,

- Aife
  • Options
    @Aife oh, I absolutely hate her! She took my family from me and turned it into something I resent!
    Trying to distract myself only works until I allow my mind to stray slightly.
    as for visiting a doctor, I'm underaged and my mum doesn't believe in Echo (even though we have a family history of things like this.)