Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I don't know if I've had a miscarriage?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

​I'm new to this so I have no idea what I'm doing. So basically, I'm on the rigevidon combined pill which you take every day for 21 days and then have a weeks break which will provide you with a "period" type bleed. My periods last around 4 to 5 days and are very regular, same time every month, I have a tracker too so I know when I'm due on etc.

​Anyway, I was due on my period in October on 26th, which should have lasted up until 29th or 30th. However, my period only lasted 2 days, meaning that by 28th I was fine, no bleeding or anything. I ignored it at first and just thought my period was a little shorter that month, but on 1st November, I had a days bleed, which started to worry me.

I'm in a relationship so I turned to my boyfriend and mentioned it to him and he didn't really understand what I was getting at and at this point I thought I was just overthinking it, but then on 3rd November I decided to be on the safe side and the test came back positive. I rang my doctors and spoke to one of the nurses and she said to do another test in a week and whatever the result, call back and she'll talk to me. So I did another test a week later, and the result was negative. I spoke to the nurse and she said that it would have been a very early miscarriage. When I mentioned this to my boyfriend he just shrugged it off and said the nurse didn't know what she was on about and I probably wasn't even pregnant anyway, it would have just been a false positive, so I just ignored it all and carried on with my life.

​However, my auntie has recently been through the same, where she had a positive test and then had a miscarriage a few days later. This started getting me thinking about what I've been through in October because I'm worried that I actually did have one.

​Has anybody else been through anything similar to this because it's really starting to worry me. I only started thinking about this more within the last week, and then last night I had a really weird dream that I gave birth to a baby girl and it has really freaked me out.

​Can someone please help

Comments

• MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Welcome to TheMix forums, jadeharris98

I'm very sorry you miscarried, but honestly feel you should see your doctor and get medical advice on your birth control. And take your aunty. You really do need medical advice about your monthly cycle. First, make a telephone consultation and go from there. If you begin feeling sick, then dial NHS 111

Your boyfriend could have been more helpful, especially in your condition. 'Shrugging it off' really isn't good enough. Had he been mine, I'd have said something. Guys can be so insensitive at times. :mad:

Wishing you all the best,

Belle
  • peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
    Hey @jadeharris98 :)

Speaking from personal experience, although, of course, this varies for everyone, there are many factors and reasons that could lead to irregular periods. But, more importantly, I think it's really important to see a doctor about your concerns, as @Mirabelle has said, since we're no medical health professionals here.

I'm really sorry that your boyfriend was so insensitive shrugging off your worries, perhaps you could have a deeper chat about this?

While there is still the potential that there was a mistake in a pregnancy test (since they're not 100% accurate all the time) I understand how distressing your situation must feel - I'm so sorry in the case that you did miscarry early, and for your aunt.

-peachysoo
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @jadeharris98,

Hope this will help a little as I actually remember learning about early miscarriage/false positive pregnancy tests in Human Biology class... Firstly, as @peachysoo mentioned above, pregnancy tests are not always 100% accurate. That said, very early miscarriages are actually quite common. A lot of women won't know they have had one. I hope this link might help explain early miscarriage: https://www.webmd.boots.com/pregnancy/guide/chemical-pregnancy

As the others have suggested, I think it would be really beneficial for you to go in and see your doctor to chat through all of this, especially as it is now starting to worry you (and by the sounds of it, affect your dreams!!). I'm sorry your boyfriend wasn't particularly helpful but I think that's quite normal...

Here whenever you need to talk *hug*

- Lucy :heart:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend