Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is the importance of self-love in relationships with others?

peachysoopeachysoo Posts: 151 Helping Hand
Hi everyone!

I'm peachysoo and I wanted to start a discussion on the importance of loving oneself in relationships with others, and how we can promote self-love, for my first post!
I look forward to reading everyone's responses. :)

-peachysoo

Comments

• Options
    PositiveAuraPositiveAura Posts: 150 Helping Hand
    Hey @peachysoo :)

First off, welcome to the mix and what a great first post!

I think that this is one of the most important things in relationships and you have to love yourselves before anyone else truly can.

This is obviously such a hard thing to do and we are all on our own journey to find out who we are and to love that person. I think the main thing to remember is that we CREATE ourselves.

I do believe that accepting yourself and embracing who we are allows for a much happier relationship. It allows us to be comfortable within ourselves and more likely to be who we are without feeling self-conscious or worried about what the other person might think.

Like I said, it can be a long journey to embracing our true selves but there are a few things that I have done in the past and try to do everyday.

I think one of the first things we have to do is look after ourselves as much as we can. Treating our bodies well can help our health both physically and mentally.

We also have to focus on the positive and embrace the things we love about ourselves. Focus on these and it can help us realise how unique and special we are. We all have things that we may not like about ourselves but I guarantee that the people who love us will think that these are the best things about us!

We are all so different and that's the best thing, embrace who you are and create yourself. Find out what you like, wear whatever you want to wear, be weird and wonderful and the people around you who matter will love you for all your quirks!

I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks on this subject! :)

-PositiveAura
  • Options
    Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Hi @peachysoo,

Welcome! What a great first post on a great topic! I think self love is sooo important. One of my favourite quotes is 'Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have' - I couldn't agree more with that. Completely agree with @PositiveAura's post above, it's a long and sometimes difficult journey to love and accept ourselves but after that we are able to be loved and accepted more readily and more happily.

What do you think?

- Lucy :rainbow:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • Options
    PositiveAuraPositiveAura Posts: 150 Helping Hand
    'Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have'

Love this @Lucy307 I think this definitely sums it up. :)

Here's a post all about self-love here on The Mix. It talks about the Summer of Self-Love, but we need it for all seasons, especially now to fight those winter blues:

http://www.themix.org.uk/news-and-research/blogs/summer-of-self-love

And there's also some tips on this next link to help build your self-love, confidence and self-esteem:

http://www.themix.org.uk/mental-health/body-image-and-self-esteem/low-self-esteem-5941.html

-PositiveAura