Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The implant and weight gain?

One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
Hi guys I'm due to have the implant next week. But I'm worried about gaining weight.
I am currently trying to loose a bit of weight (under watch of my doctor)

And I'm doing well and loosing it at a nice steady pace, however I don't want to put all the weight back on or start gaining weight instead of loosing it.

What are people's experience while using the implant?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was completely fine, no weight gain 😊
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    I am also fine no weight gain from the implant and it completly stops my period 🙆
  • Options
    Hi guys thank you very much, I'm getting it done today so I'm pretty nervous.

I spoke to my doctor who recommended this as it was the safest form of contraception for me due to my medication.

I'll ask about weight gain today and just update the nurse when I go back the doctors about it in the week when I go for my weighting.

Thanks guys
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 976 Part of The Mix Family
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I went on the implant and sadly did gain weight, however, it was down to how hungry I was as well, the implant made me consume double what I normally would, but then I was able to get it under control, I started to stop gaining weight. But at this point I was over weight, which made me personally feel really uncomfortable, however, not everyone gains weight on it, some people have no impact from it. But if you can eat healthy and all that m'larkey, you should be okay, I eventually got it removed, cause I just felt unwell with it.
  • Options
    I've had it done now, it's a little sore and itchy but I'm presuming that because it's only just been done about an hour ago.

I'm gonna carry on as normal and see how I go on

Aurora I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Are you on anything different now?

Thanks guys
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    Hey, no experience here but I hope it works out for you. I've heard that they are great!
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    vidhyavidhya Deactivated Posts: 75 Budding Regular
    Hey One-In-A-Million,

I hope you are doing well! Contraceptive implants can be tricky and confusing. Even from the posts on this board, it’s clear that everybody’s experiences with them have been very different. The Mix has an article all about contraceptive implants and the effects of the procedure here: http://www.themix.org.uk/sex-and-relationships/safer-sex/contraceptive-implant-4568.html .

Alternatively, we also provide plenty of articles about healthy eating, like this one which talks about different ways people might struggle with eating habits: http://www.themix.org.uk/your-body/fitness-and-diet/expert-chat-healthy-eating-19523.html .

Weight gain/loss is something that everyone experiences in their life, and for some it can be a very challenging process, but you are most certainly not alone! As you said before, your GP could provide you with information regarding the effects of the implant and any further steps you could take to prevent any weight gain/loss.

I hope this helped,

Vidhya @The Mix
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I've had it done now, it's a little sore and itchy but I'm presuming that because it's only just been done about an hour ago.

I'm gonna carry on as normal and see how I go on

Aurora I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Are you on anything different now?

Thanks guys

I'm on the injection now, and mood wise, weight etc. I feel so much better than I did on the Implant, I hope the Impant works out for you.