Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Absent-minded

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello. Before I get started, I should tell you that I have had ADD in the past. I don't know if I still have it though. Also, I hesitated to post this.

Now, for every day, about after lunch, around maybe 12:30 PM to 3 or 4 PM, I become very zoned-out or zombie-like or not paying attention to stuff around me.

This state of being very thoughtless makes me worry about me. Because sometimes the teacher would say something, and I wouldn't even know it and have to resort to asking someone what on earth we're doing, which is embarrassing.

I'm also not as efficient as everyone else probably because of this lack of speedy thinking. It really bothers me. I'm usually behind everyone else on how far in we are into the assignment. I get so jealous when I see people's assignment paper, and they're already on question 34 or something like that. Completing tests in a 1 period's time has always been a struggle. I didn't even finish the PSAT last year.

I've tried using caffeinated drinks, because I thought/think that it does improve my speed of thinking and the amount I think.

Does anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't really know anything about this, but have you told a doctor or something? also there are lots of apps and games with things like mind excercises that are meant to help with quicker thinking so i guess you could try one of them? sorry if this wasn't helpful i was just thinking of an idea
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    Hi there Luc,

It definitely sounds like you're having a rough time at the moment, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much with school. You mentioned that you have had ADD in the past, were you seeing a doctor about it before that you could talk to again? Speaking to a GP about something like this is always a good first step to understanding what's going on and what options there are for you.

You might also find it helpful to look into a resource like NetDoctor http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ to learn more about how you're feeling and what it might have to do with your past ADD. Even if the two aren't connected it could be helpful for you to be sure one way or the other.

Going back to your difficulties with your school work, in particular you mention written exams, have you tried speaking with your teacher directly about the problems you're having?

- Riley
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.