Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sexual Assault - forensic

Louu__Louu__ Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
I'm not going into too much detail because it's not needed but also I don't think I would cope too well after writing it down. For some time now I've been in a tricky situation with a person, but because of my current mental well-being, I haven't felt strong enough to report this properly yet. I have a fantastic support worker who knows everything and has helped me loads. Without her help & support I wouldn't be here today. So today, I finally found that strength in me from somewhere to want to go to sarc, so they could gather forensic evidence which could be stored and I could use at a later date to help when things progress. I made that decision and for me that's a big deal. So, I couldn't get hold of my support worker. So I decide to ring sarc myself (huge anxiety attack going on) and managed to sort of speak to someone to ask if I can go down tomorrow. Phew - breathe - I FINALLY did it for me. Maybe I can do this? Maybe I am strong enough?! But.....no. Fuck sake. I want to cry, holding back the tears as I'm told it's changed there now and I can no longer self-refer to have forensic evidence taken and it needs to be done via the police, straight away. No other option. Well great. Flipping bloody great. There I am thinking finally I am doing this for me, for when I'm strong enough & I would have that evidence, but no. & now I'm in a huge mess and I don't know what to do or think. I can't breathe for crying and feel that now I'll never get anywhere because I'm a stupid fat worthless excuse of a life who clearly needs nothing :'( I hate this

Comments

• Options
    LostsenseLostsense Posts: 1,329 Wise Owl
    I did it because I didnt want that 😠😠😠😠 bastarrrrrd to do it to anyone else. I hope you can find a way to give forensic evidence so in the future you can persue if you wish.
  • Options
    One-in-a-millionOne-in-a-million Posts: 599 Incredible Poster
    Hi Louu I'm sorry to hear this :( it must be very frustrating. Have you spoken to your support worker? It can be really unsettling when you feel ready for something and then it all change!

I'm not sure and please don't take what I'm about to say for fact orto put you off. Will they still take forensic evidence if it was some time ago? Prehaps this is something you could discuss with your support worker? I would also say if you are still thinking of going prehaps you could visit the police station and ask the to talk you through the process of what goes on and what they will need to do?

You deserve the help and support Louu you're not stupid or worthless don't let this little bump drag you down. You're here now and that shows great strength after sexual assault especially being able to reach out on here.

Hope you're ok
    Emma
  • Options
    AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,031 Boards Guru
    Heyy Louu, you've done so well to reach out on the boards and talk about what you're going through. I'm really sorry to hear that you can't self-refer to sarc anymore, like one-in-million mentioned, it can be so hard when we're ready to do something and then it all change. Finding that strength to reach out somewhere is often so hard to do, but you did find it!

It sounds like you're quite worried about this idea about going to the police to give forensic evidence. There's a bit of information I've found on lifecentre website about gathering forensic evidence that might be useful to read. It mentions that many cases, forensic evidence isn't the only form of evidence than be used to prove what happened in court. Giving forensic evidence can make the case stronger, but if you decide not to go to the police that's okay, there is still other options out there if you decide later on that you'd like to take things to the police. Has your support worker given you advice about what evidence could be presented if you decide not to go ahead with giving forensic evidence?

I also wanted to say that you're not alone at all, we're all here for you. There's also some really great support services out there who can talk to you about your options and give you more information about the process of giving forensic evidence to the police. I've listed a few below, I hope they're helpful :)

Lifecentre - offer support to people who have experienced sexual abuse and rape and can help you work through what has happened. They can be called on 0808 802 0808 or be text at 0771 798 9022.

Safeline - have a helpline and range of online support services such as counselling, and ISVA service to help people who are thinking about reporting the crime to the police. They have a helping for young people that can be called on 0808 800 5007.

RapeCrisis - offer information and advice online and also have a helpline that can be contacted on 0808 802 9999.

Feel free to keep posting here whenever you'd like to, we are all here for you :)
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤