Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finding someone

DistractionDistraction Posts: 439 Listening Ear
Hi, if I wanted to, do you know how I would go about finding someone thats related to me in a way they won't find out?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is this relative someone whom you've never met - or is (s)he someone whom you used to know, but haven't been in contact with recently? Does this person know of your existence and the fact that you're related to him/her?
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 439 Listening Ear
    We knew each other and that we are related but haven't had contact in a few years
    Ways of finding someone include: searching social media sites, the electoral register, the registers of births deaths and marriages, the online phone book - as well as asking people who know/knew him/her and hiring a private detective.

Do you know where (s)he used to live, but (s)he no longer lives there? If so, you could ask his/her former neighbours if they know where (s)he moved to. If you know of his/her former workplace, you could ask his/her former colleagues where their next workplace was.

The more common the person's name, the more difficult it will be, because it could be difficult to distinguish between the person you're looking for and other people who share their name. It will be more difficult if they've moved a long distance away, particularly if they've moved abroad. Even more difficult is if they've changed their name. Many people use a nickname or pseudonym rather than their real name.

If you can't find the person in question, you may be able to do so indirectly by finding someone whom they know.
    Ok, thanks, I'll try some of these out
    Do they want to be found? If a person doesn't want to be found, trying to find them could constitute harassment.
    Am not sure if they do or not but there a parental figure, would it still be harassment if I just tried the once to get in contact and if they said I don't want to see/talk to u then I wouldn't take it any further?
    If they have not previously told you or given an indication that you should not seek them, then I think it would be okay to try and find them. Good luck!